HS Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abyssalblue

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking into purchasing the HS Explorer dive computer with direct O2 cell (PPO2) monitoring and computation capibilities (for the Inspiration). Does anyone have any exspirience with this model? Suggestions? I understand the VR3 offers many of the same options except runs a different decompression model than the HS Explorer's RGBM.Thank you for your time.

Todd

abyssalblue:
I am looking into purchasing the HS Explorer dive computer with direct O2 cell (PPO2) monitoring and computation capibilities (for the Inspiration). Does anyone have any exspirience with this model? Suggestions? I understand the VR3 offers many of the same options except runs a different decompression model than the HS Explorer's RGBM.Thank you for your time.

Todd

Todd,

You are quite correct. The VR3 runs a Buhlmann-style algorithm, with proprietary tweaks as created by Kevin Gurr. It is a solid computer, and effective.

The Explorer uses the full-implementation RGBM, as well as having the capability to switch to a Buhlmann model. At the moment, it is the only wet computer with its depth capability and total amount of gas switches to run the full RGBM. Others, I understand, are on the way. The display on the HS is really large, and the settings are easy to adjust. With the PPO2 link, it is an outstanding choice for RB work, especially with helium use.

I dive an HS, have had no issues with it. I also like the RGBM Model, and when the vision gets questionable the screen is a little to small on the VR3....Plus if you live in the US having the company local is a nice advantage should you need to get repairs ect.

abyssalblue:

Todd
I have both the VR3 and the explorer, the VR3 usually resides in my dive bag while the explorer joins me on dives.. The freedom to choice our alg depending on your planned dive is great and I really appreciate the large display..

I just got back from Grand Cayman running a few trimix classes with dives to 100m and the explorer performed flawlessly as usual...

padiscubapro:
I have both the VR3 and the explorer, the VR3 usually resides in my dive bag while the explorer joins me on dives.. The freedom to choice our alg depending on your planned dive is great and I really appreciate the large display..

I just got back from Grand Cayman running a few trimix classes with dives to 100m and the explorer performed flawlessly as usual...

Hi Joe,

Glad to hear your trip went well.

Can you elaborate on how you select what algos go best for what dives?

Cheers
Mike

DrMike:
Hi Joe,

Glad to hear your trip went well.

Can you elaborate on how you select what algos go best for what dives?

Cheers
Mike

When I dive with students I tend to lean more towards a buhlman based profile since I'll plan it with gradient factors (for the deep stops) using Gap. This is especially true when doing multilevel dives since I feel the buhlman pofiles are a bit more conservative.. For my own dives, especially square profile dives I use RGBM since I know how my body reacts to the shorter decos, I rather not experiment with students...

To find out how "safe" the RGBM profiles were for myself I followed the generated RGBM profiles and extended the last stops gradually reducing it a bit at a time seeing how my body reacted... I now run the generated profiles and only extend the last stop a few percent for good measure..

Becareful as the HS does not run true RGBM tables. It can't if you make a deco dive within 3 hours of your last dive. I am sure you have figgured it out when you cut your tables.

If you run GAP and the HS Tables Programs you wil notice a big differnce in the tables they generate. Be clear to the rest of the "Team" which you are using... Been there, made that mistake and learned.

I have the HS Explorer non-O2 model. Upon returning from its first dive trip I attempted to download the dives and got complete garbage AND it cleared the logs -- everything's gone.

Contacted HSE and got an almost immediate reply that this is a known problem, it happens very seldom (I'm in software, so I understand this kind of problem) and that someone would call me right away.

That was a month and a half ago. Several follow-up emails remained unanswered, I never got a call and I've got over a grand invested in something that doesn't work as advertised.

I am NOT a happy camper with the HS Explorer -- I delayed posting my experience hoping that the final outcome would be a positive one, but time's up, HSE...

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom