HP119 tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmcsteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know the bouancy characteristics of these tanks? I am getting ready to buy some slightly used ones and I was hoping for some advice for adjusting my weight. I currently use quite a bit of lead (32 lbs) when diving AL 80's with a Farmer John style 6mm wetsuit. How much can I lose with these heavier tanks?

Thanks

I looked at a chart a day or two back and recall -2# empty / -10.9# full. Now where did I put that credit card...

Should be able to drop 6# or so.

Service pressure, psi Empty weight, lbs Buoyancy Empty, lbs (w/valve) Buoyancy Full, lbs (w/valve)
E8-119 3442 PSI 41 -2 -10.5
ZzzKing:
Good call on the weight change. With the same numbers for an AL80 being 3000 PSI 31.4 +4.4 -1.4, and looking at each tank with 500 PSI, rather than the empty bouyancy, the 500 PSI bouyancy values are -3.2 for the 119 and +3.4 for the AL80, so you're looking at ~6.6lbs. Given the amount of lead you are wearing with that thick suit and an AL80, I suspect you will like the 119s.

Yea, the 6-7 pounds should be correct depending which way your or existing weighting is biased. The other consideration is where to remove it from if you are presently spreading your weight out.

Also remember it's not it being a heavier tank that should excite you. The fact that it is less buoyant is the magic. The cylinder including the 50% extra air will be about 11.6 pounds heavier.

You'll net out about 5 pounds heavier going into the water but have 50% more gas, not a bad deal if you have use for it.

Pete

You'll net out about 5 pounds heavier going into the water but have 50% more gas, not a bad deal if you have use for it.

Pete

That should work out just fine since my wife usually still has a half a tank left when I am below 500 psi..... gonna get some more bottom time....yea!:D

I snagged a used 119 dirt cheap last year. I think you will love the tank.

I looked at a chart a day or two back and recall -2# empty / -10.9# full. Now where did I put that credit card...

Yes, I have the HP119s and I drop 6 lbs from using aluminum 80s.

Steve

I have two of them. I'm in real good shape and can make an 80 last an hour at 60 feet or so. With the 119 I can do dives of 90 minutes and more no problem. I have to watch my computer like a hawk to stay out of deco trouble. I bought them for spear fishing and crabbing. On the Oregon Coast we run into some currents and chasing fish and crab can be a lot of work. Burning air is quick in those conditions so Deco is not a problem on hunting dives but looky loo dives... Be careful!

I haven't noticed much of a weight difference from the steel lp 80's I used to dive with.

Back
Top Bottom