Question HP100 doubles vs AL80s doubles + AL80 stage bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirt Pineapple

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys, I'm newly certified at the AN/DP and am wondering what would be the ideal all-around tank setup. I only dive in FL warm ocean waters so I dive with either a 3mm or 5mm wetsuit. I have a dual bladder wing as well, and I have a spare inflator hose not connected to wing but bungeed close to it for redundant inflation.

Is it better to have AL80 doubles with a AL80 stage bottle for more bottom gas or HP100 doubles and no bottom gas stage bottle?

Thoughts?

Hey guys, I'm newly certified at the AN/DP and am wondering what would be the ideal all-around tank setup. I only dive in FL warm ocean waters so I dive with either a 3mm or 5mm wetsuit. I have a dual bladder wing as well, and I have a spare inflator hose not connected to wing but bungeed close to it for redundant inflation.

Is it better to have AL80 doubles with a AL80 stage bottle for more bottom gas or HP100 doubles and no bottom gas stage bottle?

Thoughts?
How many dives are you doing on open circuit in the ocean where a pair of Ali 80s don’t suffice? I’d vote all 80s unless you’re sufficiently fit and buoyant so as to be able to maintain and float up a set of LP85s. HP100s in a 3mm wetsuit hard pass, especially the PST variety.

Thoughts?
Is it likely that you will be using a deco cylinder or two, too? If so, then, if you're using three cylinders for bottom gas, you'll be diving with four (using a single deco cylinder) or five (using two deco cylinders) cylinders!

rx7diver

I faced a similar decision about a year ago. The crux of it seems to be whether or not you are comfortable with the second bladder being reliable enough for redundant buoyancy, similar to a drysuit. I’m good with that being equivalent, so I dive double HP100s and LP85s wet with a dual bladder or dry. I’m comfortable managing a second bladder and like the option to dive the same rig wet or dry.

I don’t think there’s a wrong answer here, more of a preference for what fits your diving objectives and related risk assessments.

Lance

I faced a similar decision about a year ago. The crux of it seems to be whether or not you are comfortable with the second bladder being reliable enough for redundant buoyancy, similar to a drysuit. I’m good with that being equivalent, so I dive double HP100s and LP85s wet with a dual bladder or dry. I’m comfortable managing a second bladder and like the option to dive the same rig wet or dry.

I don’t think there’s a wrong answer here, more of a preference for what fits your diving objectives and related risk assessments.

Lance

Has anyone made any comparison on how fast you descend with total loss of inflation with full steel HP100 doubles roughly?

Not a comparison, but my typical descent rate with steel doubles and deco cylinders on hot drops with negative entries is around 80 ft/min. That’s trying to drop fast, not managing a buoyancy failure where you’d likely still have some gas in your wing. Hope that’s helpful.

Lance

Double 80s so you have a balanced rig. Use the stage as a travel stage if you just need to extend range way easier

Having an extra 40 cuft isn’t really a huge deal and double 80s with a stage has better bouyancy characteristics than a set of double 100s wet, and honestly 100s sorta suck for trim they’re head heavy. I’ve sold all of mine and just sure either 130s/108s or al80s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom