HP or LP Nitrox and tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe that's true on the regional thing. I mostly see LP tanks here. LP104s being the most popular. I understand about you not wanting to overfill LP tanks. Fortunately, I live in a place where that is religion :) 3500psi fills is the most common.

PerroneFord:
Worthington's LP95 is 38#

http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

Good call on the 119. About the same size, good amount more gas, but a bit more costly. Not that over the life of the tanks (20+ years with care) that you'd notice a few hundred bucks.

forgot they even made one honestly :)

LP's are cool as they tend to be cheap on eBay.

limeyx:
Agreed on the HP fills tho -- It's hard to get 3400 fills around here.

I have a Worthington HP 100's. I've not had any problems getting 3400 fills.

I also have worthington 100's and they are perfect. They are small and relatively light and hold plenty of air. The only reason to get a lp in my opinion is if you cannot get a good HP fill, which I can.

I'm a big guy and I like the 120 but I can easily carry the weight that is often a complaint i've heard.

Most people I've met use hp 100's and it works great. Alot of the shops around here that deal with more tech divers usually will let you look at different tanks. I've gone to look at tanks that they were feeling and feel the weight of different tanks. Definately heavy when hp 130's are doubled.

hp is definitely a choice over lp.

I have the PST E8-119 tank. Love it. Same size as the LP 95. Don't have to worry about overfilling. I can get 3500 fills regularly. If I get a short fill, I usually still have more gas than a LP95. YMMV.

My experience says to not worry too much about what folks recommend on the internet. Instead run gas profiles using the 1/6 and 1/3 as you will when you do real life dives. Then buy the tanks that will work for that. That might be 85's or 120's. But make sure the size tank will support your planned diving.

Recently there was a poll about what tanks people used in their double rigs. Amazing how many used double AL80s. That makes sense, especially if you are going to travel and just want to strap on rental tanks.

Also, think about how the tanks balance on your body. Recently I tried both 85's and 120's. The120's balanced so nice I'd never even consider the 85's. But others wouldn't come up with the same answer.

So, get tanks that FOR YOU have enough gas for a proper tech profile and balance right on YOUR body and that you can get at your destination if you plan on traveling and not taking your own tanks.

CompuDude:
fabers are too darn heavy!)

The new Faber FX-100 weighs 34 pounds. I bought a set of Faber 72s at 24 pounds each because I am a wussy girl, although I did dive a set of E7-100s this week. They were overfilled and a lot heavier than the AL80s I had practiced with.

lp has my vote. I have 2 hp100 and now have 2 steel lp108's. I can get 30% more gas in the 108lp. Lost 5 lbs of disposable weights.

I was at my LDS last weekend tyring to decide the same thing. LP or HP? and what size?

I was trying to decide between the LP95 and the HP100 (all Worthingtons). They then brought out a HP119 Worthington and it was almost exactly the same size tank as the LP95. If I was someplace that I couldn't get a HP fill, then 3000psi in that 119 would still be 103cf. So... pretty simple choice between the LP95 and the HP119. Only negative about it is that the HP119 cost a little more than the LP95

so now my only delimma is whether to buy the HP100's or the HP119's ? oh.. that and do I really need to spend $XXX bucks on two new tanks?

Note: Above price edited to protect carldarl from divorce!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom