How's this for stupid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW:
Donna had her mouthpiece come off while we were decending on a dive a couple of years ago.

A couple? Try 5, that was July of '01 in Pompano Beach, just a day or two after another woman went to the hospital after aspirating seawater when the exact same thing happened.

The dive shop I get my gear serviced at has you actually check it out, breathe off the primary and octo before you leave the shop so you know it's in good shape, and you can make sure everything is working correctly. This would be...of course...crazyscuba.com! Of course, I always carry extra zip ties and comfobite MP's with me in my saveadive kit.

C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster

July '01? Darn, time flies. I couldn't remember exactly when, but now that you mention it, that was the 2001 Diverlink trip.

NetDoc:
The lip and the tie were missing?
Yes. The guy at Buddy Dive confirmed it for me

NetDoc:
They either overtightened the mouthpiece (cutting it) or the mouthpiece had disintegrated to the point where it just tore apart. You simply lost the tie wrap as it fell apart.
The mouthpiece was only 1 year old. I used it on a few dive trips, then switched it out for SeaCure mouthpiece. When I was on a liveaboard in Thailand, the Seacure was irritating my gum, so I put the old one back on myself. WITH A ZIP TIE!!! I know it was fine in March.
What I think happened is they cut the mouthpiece when they cut off the zip tie. But the weird thing is, the mouth piece was trimmed all the way around down past where the lip would have been so that it was even all the way around. Almost as if someone wanted to "cover-up" the fact that they ruined the mouthpiece. Unless that's their SOP for removing mouthpieces. It took the guy at Buddy's a couple of minutes to figure it out, but then we saw a jagged edge that was left from the cut job. Unless you looked really closely, you couldn't tell anything was amiss.

ScubaDivaDivemaster:
The dive shop I get my gear serviced at has you actually check it out, breathe off the primary and octo before you leave the shop so you know it's in good shape, and you can make sure everything is working correctly. This would be...of course...crazyscuba.com! Of course, I always carry extra zip ties and comfobite MP's with me in my saveadive kit.

C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster
I did that and tried it out in the pool before I left for Bonaire. I never thought to check to see if they cut my mouthpiece off. I also carry extra zip ties but they really didn't do much good without the lip. But the guy at Buddy's worked on it for me until it was pretty secure. I would have bought a new mouthpiece there, but they didn't have the kind that I liked and I figured this dude's work was good for the two dives I had left.:D

Something was hinky, that's for sure. With the cut off lip, the tie might have been there, though not tight enough. Did you ask the tech who worked on your rig?

NetDoc:
Something was hinky, that's for sure. With the cut off lip, the tie might have been there, though not tight enough. Did you ask the tech who worked on your rig?
No. I probably should have but the place was busy, I had other errands to run, it was rainy and windy out. I shouldn't even have been driving around since trees were down but my internet went out so I thought I'd get something constructive done. :D
And frankly, they are never wrong. They always try to make you feel stupid and that you don't know what you're talking about, which for the most part, in my case, is true. LOL But I knew there was a tie on that mouthpiece when I brought it in for service. You could be right about the tie coming off. I tried to put one on myself when I saw that it was missing, and it was little loose, which is why I took it to the guy at Buddy's shop. I didn't think it would hold the way I had it on. I have to commend the guy at Buddy, I think his name was Marco. He did an excellent job getting it on snug. He even came out to where I had my gear by the boat before a boat dive and fixed it for me. He didn't like the idea of my going out without a tie, even though I had done 12 dives before without a problem. I had told him that I didn't like the mouthpieces in the shop so I would just use it the way it was because I only had 2 dives left and I thought it would be ok.
Anyway, while I'm waiting there at the LDS for someone to give me a new mouthpiece, one of the guys working there is talking to someone who is going to take a class and showing him fins he could buy. He shows him some split fins and tells him "Tech divers use these kinds of fins." I almost made a smart aleck comment but I was just not in the mood for once.:D

Well, I just checked the Dell battery in my laptop and at least I have one that was made in Korea and it's not one of the ones being recalled. LOL

Walter:
A couple? Try 5, that was July of '01 in Pompano Beach, just a day or two after another woman went to the hospital after aspirating seawater when the exact same thing happened.
And to think, people say that when you get old you lose your memory:rofl2:

Who? Me? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom