Howdy from Kalispell Montana, 3,500 ft above Sea Level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to ScubaBoard. You may already know this from your LDS (Local Dive Shop) but altitude diving has different constraints than that of ocean diving. Before you dive at Glacier, please make yourself aware of them.
?

Funny thing about that, even during our confined water dives in the pool at the LDS, we are at 3,100 FT above sea level. So we got a breif intro to Altitude diving (Hence my forum name :D ).

I'm already scheduled to take my AOW early this summer (in these parts that's late June early July). And when I asked my instructor about getting more education on diving at Altitude (becuase every dive we do here is at Altitude), he said I will get the training during our AOW.

And yes, I asked if that means I can get waived passed or take a proficiency for the PADI Altitude Specialty, he said he had already been through that battle with PADI and no go.:no I still have to take the class, but all the dives I do during my AOW go count towards my Altitude class because they all are at Alttitude.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.
BTW, how warm does the water get during the summer? How is the viz of the water?

Most of the lakes get up into the high 60's low 70's during the summer arourd here. The lakes up in Glacier Park tend to be a little cooler and if diving deeper than 50ft a drysuit is needed.

The rivers on the otherhand stay a bit cooler and don't warm up enough to go wet until August (mountian run off and all).

Vis in the Lakes during runoff 5 ft if you are lucky, after runoff (June to Late June) some lakes 50-60 ft.

Rivers much less after runoff, during runnof it's suicide! too much debris and zero vis with fast currents.

One of the things I am looking forward to is being underwater and looking up at the sunlight shinging down through emerald green hue of the water from the Glacial silt.

Listen to me, I sound like I've been doing this for years....:dork2:

Thanks for everyones feedback.

And yes, I asked if that means I can get waived passed or take a proficiency for the PADI Altitude Specialty, he said he had already been through that battle with PADI and no go.:no I still have to take the class, but all the dives I do during my AOW go count towards my Altitude class because they all are at Alttitude.

Of course you need to take the class -Welcome to (P)ut (A)nother (D)ollar (I)n.

You don't need a card to do the dive. You need the information. And all that information (for altitude diving anyway) can be learned in about 10 minutes. My advice - spend some time on the boards. Lots to be learned here. I am not implying that it is a substitute for proper training, but it will help you make an informed decision as to what is "proper training".

Have a great trip, but don't let the warmth spoil you. There is some great diving in this state. Start saving for a dry suit!

Hunter

Of course you need to take the class -Welcome to (P)ut (A)nother (D)ollar (I)n.

Hunter

:rofl3: After sitting through the classes reading the book, watching the videos, I think your definition is more fitting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom