How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not talking about policing ourselves, you are talking about policing others. There is a difference. As a group we can come up with rules and agree to follow them. Thats policing ourselves. What you are doing is coming up with your own rules and trying to enforce them on others.

... when my position is supported by more than 90% of local dive shops and dive charters, the Washington Scuba Alliance, Northwest Dive News, and virtually every city and state agency we've spoken to in the past two days ... those are not MY rules. I have no power to make rules. The people who do seem to be coming on board with incredible speed. We've got a hearing in Olympia next week ... it's unheard of to make things happen that fast, and it's quite beyond the power of one old curmudgeon who, as you claim, feels he's been disrespected.

Yes ... as a group we can come up with rules and agree to follow them. That's EXACTLY what we're doing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

@ChillyinCanada
I dont know, but as a trained hunter I can say this much - You dont need to be trained in hunting octo to know you never kill off the mother and leave the offspring - both because its not as humane hunting as you can achieve and because youre killing off later years harvest..

And if you knew anything about GPO then you would know that given the condition of the specimen its highly unlikely that it had given birth. So no eggs!Those comments surely were to incite furry in Bob which obviously they did. Don't believe me, get a second opinion from anyone who has some experience with them. Have them take a look at the photos, I'm sure they will come to the same conclusion. So since it wasn't that it just gave birth- are you still just as mad? Because thats seems to be the driving force of this thread and its complete BS!

Tigerman, that's part of where I'm trying to go with this. Who trained him? I don't know much about hunting but it just stands to reason that two of the taught principles would be don't take a mother off her eggs AND don't take your legal daily limit all from the same nesting area.

No you guys totally orchestrated this... Less the idiot diver of course. You know there were no babies yet you love the fact that people think so. More fuel for the fire right?Peer pressure right? Considering the things posted in the other thread you must think of us all as fools. Sorry buddy that doesn't work on me. You know the best time to start a war is right after being attacked. Thats when people aren't thinking clearly and prone to rush into a fools errand. Good job!

And if you knew anything about GPO then you would know that given the condition of the specimen its highly unlikely that had given birth. Those comments surely were to incite furry in Bob which obviously they did. Don't believe me, get a second opinion from anyone who has some experience with them. Have them take a look at the photos, I'm sure they will come to the same conclusion. So since it wasn't that it just gave birth- are you still just mad? Because thats seems to be the driving force of this thread and its complete BS!

What are you trying to say? That the octo wasn't on eggs? How would you know? And, if the female WAS taken off the eggs, their chances of survival are pretty much nil. The female aerates as well as protects from the ever present predators just waiting for the chance to snatch a few eggs. Now, they will get the whole batch.

Again, not sure what you are saying that Chilly needs to know......

inciting furry? I never heard fur mentioned.....

No you guys totally orchestrated this... Less the idiot diver of course. You know there were no babies yet you love the fact that people think so. More fuel for the fire right?Peer pressure right? Considering the things posted in the other thread you must think of us all as fools. Sorry buddy that doesn't work on me. You know the best time to start a war is right after being attacked. Thats when people aren't thinking clearly and prone to rush into a fools errand. Good job!

Oh yeah, I found some idiot 19-year old kid and talked him into creating an incident ... after weeks of careful planning and orchestration with 20 dive shops and a handful of a handful of government agencies ... and timed it just right to make myself look like some sort of hero.

Dude ... go to bed ... you're gonna have a real bad hangover in the morning.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, it's your "office". Who trains in your area? Is it one or more of the same shops that have jumped on the band wagon?

Bob, it's your "office". Who trains in your area? Is it one or more of the same shops that have jumped on the band wagon?

No one that I know of "trains" people to hunt octopus. Some dive shops run hunting trips, and perhaps have workshops on spearing and gathering techniques. I really can't say for sure ... hunting's not my preference. I do know which shops promote it, but I've never heard of one specifically offering a course in taking octopus.

At any rate, I'm checking out for the evening ... I'm up in six hours to meet a friend for a dive. Y'all have a nice evening ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What are you trying to say? That the octo wasn't on eggs? How would you know? And, if the female WAS taken off the eggs, their chances of survival are pretty much nil. The female aerates as well as protects from the ever present predators just waiting for the chance to snatch a few eggs. Now, they will get the whole batch.

Again, not sure what you are saying that Chilly needs to know......

inciting furry? I never heard fur mentioned.....

Im glad to still see some humor in all this. I suppose a furry could be incited if you were into those kinds of parties... As far as my no egg comment, before I was an instructor I did go to school. A good deal of my studies involved marine biology. Im not an expert, that said it wouldn't take one to make that observation. Unfortunately people tend to believe a lot of things that are not true just because somebody said it or let them believe it. In this case there was a clear advantage to letting people believe that, as to incite fury.

---------- Post Merged at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I found some idiot 19-year old kid and talked him into creating an incident ... after weeks of careful planning and orchestration with 20 dive shops and a handful of a handful of government agencies ... and timed it just right to make myself look like some sort of hero.

Dude ... go to bed ... you're gonna have a real bad hangover in the morning.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I did say "less the idiot diver". Hard to get a hangover when you don't drink. Good night.

Zen Diving, what's the huge stake you have in this that you're so hot to stand beside this worm? Your argument seems to be "Oh, he may not be very nice, but what he did isn't illegal, so no one should do anything."

I haven't noticed any local hunters speaking up to say they don't want their responsible activities infringed, it seems there's an unspoken agreement that this is a place that people can go dive and enjoy spending a little time with these animals. Up until now this has been respected, but now this punk has made a point to come flaunt his disrespect, because he can.

Bob and a number of others seem to feel that they should indeed do something. If the community there makes that decision, then it's their decision to make. I'd say your best bet is to sit back and let them handle it.

Personally, I get sick of having my chances of enjoying things ruined by punks, those whose top priority is to show everyone that they respect nothing, that there is nothing you can admire that they can't spraypaint, drown out with cussing, or just stand in front of holding their crotch with a stupid look on their face.

I've never been to PNW. I'm not a vegetarian. Never seen a GPO. Not an anti-hunting kelp hugger. I am 100% behind Bob's cause, and I thoroughly approve of his methods. This jerk makes his own decisions to amuse himself by giving the finger to the society he inhabits. The society is now reacting to said jerk, by putting social pressure on him to fall in line. I think the whole thing is really being handled in a very civilized and gentle way, I'm sure it's obvious to many here that there are other very direct and effective pressures that might be applied as an alternative, to show said jerk the practical value of respect. Who knows? A few hard lessons early on just might have helped him get along with the world better than he is now.

Anyway, it's never too late to start is what I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom