How would you guys plan this vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire is not much more expensive than the keys if you end up renting a car for a week, especially if you are coming from the west. SInce you go to UC, I recommend making a trip to the Pacific coast of Mexico for a dive trip. Probably can find all inclusive since Mexico has a lot of them.

Good luck in medic school. I have been one since 2000 so if you need any help send me a message.

Cozumel is awesome if you can get decent airfare. Try Cozumel vacation accommodations Mexico - Bay Adventures Vacations for an all-inclusive package. Talk to your divemaster about restaurants off the beaten path. They will be cheaper and more interesting if you want to see the real Cozumel. If that doesn't work for you the keys are good too. You can get some good diving in on the cheap around largo and islamorada. Check out Dive with Silent World voted #1 dive shop in Florida they have some very good dive packages and can help you out with some lodging too. I have dove with them and have no complaints. I like the Hungry Pelican for lodging. It's not fancy but it's right on the water and inexpensive. Try "Hobo's" for dinner. Great food and and a neat place.

I'll ditto that with Bay Adventures. I have done two trips to Cozumel through them and I was extremely happy and will certainly call them again for another trip. Next trip to that region is likely to be Belize.

Don't be too quick to write off Bonaire. If you figure the total cost PER DIVE and do some cooking yourself you may be surprized at the difference. We typically average 3 dives a day and 5 are easily do-able if your up to it. I have a group going in July and the average cost per diver per week is in the $650 range (condo/truck/unlimited nitrox) plus tag/taxes $50+- and air. We got air from NC for less than $600 and it's still in the $600 range. This is for on the water accomidations, the cost can be less if you stay off the water. If you do some cooking in your room, you can keep the cost of food down, not something you can easily do elsewhere and the cost of food is about the same in the Keys vs Bonaire. On other thing to add into your thought process is the possibility of not diving due to weather, be a real bummer to fly somewhere and not be able to dive most or all week due to sea conditions. Been there done that, not much fun.

Hmm, good point, I was looking at the fact you can only do boat dives in Florida and that kinda turns me off, because as you mentioned, it means the cost of each dive is higher.

Bonaire is not much more expensive than the keys if you end up renting a car for a week, especially if you are coming from the west. SInce you go to UC, I recommend making a trip to the Pacific coast of Mexico for a dive trip. Probably can find all inclusive since Mexico has a lot of them.

Good luck in medic school. I have been one since 2000 so if you need any help send me a message.

I'll take a look at Cozumel, but if Bonaire is about the same as the Keys, then I'll just stick with Bonaire...I was told the all-inclusive through my dive shop may be up to 2,300 due to fuel costs but I'd do it for 1,500.

Thanks for the offer, I'll be adding you to my friends list since I'm sure I'll need plenty of help, lol. Right now I'm just going to review for the anatomy & physiology class beforehand.

I'm doing an examination on Bonaire with my LDS vs going on my own; just posted a thread in the ABC forum. Bonaire is an adventure just getting there and back for $1,000 on the same day for me, but then my departure cities are limited, and I don't want to change planes in Houston and DFW, NYC or Atlanta! :11:

If you go Key Largo I would second the recommendation for Capt Mark on SCUBA DO by BBarnes. As a boat Captain I really liked the way he ran his operation. If you stay at Marina Del Mar you are a block down the canal from your boat.

I would highly recommend you look at google maps and get a feel for the Keys. Key West is where all the craziness is and that is a long way from Key Largo, need rental car!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom