How warm is a Dry Suit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok we bit the bullet and ended up making a trip to SF Tech, they are less than an hour from home...

I went for the Trilaminate ( TNT in SF Talk), I also got the SF Tech undergarmets..

My wife went for the Neoprene with Qwarx undergarments, she has very long legs and the SF Tech's were a little too short.
We both got the Silicon wrist seals, the Roloc Glove system + Latex neckseals, and integrated boots.
Franz spent a lot of time with us and gave his opinion on why such and such was a good or a bad idea... it was great to be with him directly, his is extremely welcoming and very, very knowledgable (obviously)... Since he too dives in the Lac Leman, Lake Annecy he knows only too well the conditions and it was easy for him to advise us.. He reckins that on a 50 minute dive we wont be cold at all.

Now the waiting begins, the suits should be ready before the end of November when will return and try everything on when Franz is there just in case any final adjustements, neck, wrist seals are necessary. Really looking forward to that day..

This means we get a couple of dives on before christmas, just need to get some lessons on the basics of DrySuit diving.

I will go a dive tommorrow and I am already hesitant because I will be using the wetsuit...lol...

Ok we bit the bullet and ended up making a trip to SF Tech, they are less than an hour from home...

I went for the Trilaminate ( TNT in SF Talk), I also got the SF Tech undergarmets..

My wife went for the Neoprene with Qwarx undergarments, she has very long legs and the SF Tech's were a little too short.
We both got the Silicon wrist seals, the Roloc Glove system + Latex neckseals, and integrated boots.
Franz spent a lot of time with us and gave his opinion on why such and such was a good or a bad idea... it was great to be with him directly, his is extremely welcoming and very, very knowledgable (obviously)... Since he too dives in the Lac Leman, Lake Annecy he knows only too well the conditions and it was easy for him to advise us.. He reckins that on a 50 minute dive we wont be cold at all.

Now the waiting begins, the suits should be ready before the end of November when will return and try everything on when Franz is there just in case any final adjustements, neck, wrist seals are necessary. Really looking forward to that day..

This means we get a couple of dives on before christmas, just need to get some lessons on the basics of DrySuit diving.

I will go a dive tommorrow and I am already hesitant because I will be using the wetsuit...lol...
Congrats, great suit.
What was the reason for Latex neck instead of the neoprene neck seal?

"What was the reason for Latex neck instead of the neoprene neck seal?"
We spoke with Franz for quite some time concerning the neck seals and his reasoning for the latex is as follows :

1st : By default the suit comes with a latex seal and therefore doesn't add any cost.

2nd : Secondly he considers that the Latex is "almost" as good as the Neoprene for the cold water and definately better than silicon.. We tried a latex seal and found it to be quite tight but he explaned that Neoprene would be no different and that in the water the tightness is no longer felt due to the pressure from the air in the suit. The latex can also easilly be trimmed to size.. I tried two sizes of seals and the second slightly larger one was perfect ( it was the 42 which is the same as my neck size).
3rd : The latex does not need to be changed very often as we are so close we can easilly return ( ok if it happens elsewhere we will be out of luck)...

4th : I initially wanted to have a silicon neck seal but he explained that the shoulder straps of the BCD or BP/W can lie accross the ring and it can be quite uncomfortable..

5th : If we really don't like the latex we can easilly get them changed for Neoprene or Silicon.. At a cost obviously.. but at least at that point we will have tried/known the latex experience, lol, beforehand. it would be no more expensive than having them fitted from the beginning. If I were to change at a later date I would probably choose the neoprene for it's comfort.

For the wrists it is much simpler :
We chose the Rolock dry gloves and as such the wrist ring automatically come with a silicon seal... He has another system that can be fitted to the standard latex seals but the rings are slightly smaller in diameter and it was already quite tight for me so I took his advice to remain with the silicon Rolocks.

2nd : Secondly he considers that the Latex is "almost" as good as the Neoprene for the cold water and definately better than silicon.. We tried a latex seal and found it to be quite tight but he explaned that Neoprene would be no different and that in the water the tightness is no longer felt due to the pressure from the air in the suit. The latex can also easilly be trimmed to size.. I tried two sizes of seals and the second slightly larger one was perfect ( it was the 42 which is the same as my neck size).

No, it's not.

Like @admikar i don‘t agree with the second point. The neoprene neck seal is really warmer and i was surprised you choosed the latex seal.
Anyway it is not really bad, but if you change your mind i am sure you can call Franz and switch.

Back
Top Bottom