How valuable is your pet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife had an old cat that lived to the tender age of 21.

For the last year of his wonderful life I gave him a subcutaneous IV injection of lactated Ringers solution every other night.

When it got to the point that we absolutely had to put him down, I took him to the vet and made the vet let me inject the solution.

I brought him home, bathed and dried him, placed him in his favorite blanket in his normal sleeping position, put him on my wife's side of the bed and put a candle on the night stand.

He is buried in my family cemetery in a solid cherry wood casket with a brass plaque bearing his name and years of life.

So, to answer your question . . . what is the price of your love?

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

the K

fairybasslet:
This is such a hard question to answer. How old the pet? What is the quality of life? I spent over $3,000 on a year old cat that developed feline leukemia. He had chemo and lived an extra 6 months, with good quality. When he started to go downhill again, they wanted to do a blood transfusion. I said no because it would just be prolonging the inevitable. He was going to die, no 2 ways about it. I also had another cat with recurring breast cancer. She had so many surgeries, I started going out with my vet. At least he didn't charge me for some of the surgeries. LOL! But that was before I was married and had a kid, and also before I was a single mom. Now, I really have other responsibilities. College for my kid to pay for for one BIG one. I don't think I would ever spend that kind of money again on a pet. Even though I love them to death (poor choice of words I guess) I think about all the cats and kittens who need homes and are euthanized because there's no one to adopt them. I'd rather give another animal a shot at decent life then go through heroic efforts and use up a lot of my savings. The trouble is, these costs kind of just sneak up on you. The vet does tests to find out whats wrong, and does more tests, and more tests plus the treatment. You almost spend it before you know what happened.

Amen on all of it. Before kids and before being a single mom, I paid $800 for knee surgery for my now 12 year old Samoyed. Some friends thought I was nuts. Now I am NOT paying over $100 a month for the same dog for meds. She's now almost 13 , incontinent and lives in the garage because of that (I have a downstairs full of carpet that needs replaced because I let her stay in too long). I feel like she has no quality of life at this point. vet wants me to keep her on incontinence drugs, synthroid, and an expensive pain prescription. Well over $100 a month. Probably closer to $15. Oh yeah, she barks all the time too (just woke me up at 6:30), and I fear the neighbors will hate me soon.

I was ready to end it twice, and the 1st time a friend talked me out of it the 2nd time the vet did. Guess I need the vet to tell me it's time. I love the old girl, but I feel like she is miserable, and she's making me (and others) miserable.

VERY VERY sad, and confusing as well. It's hard to make these decisions, and we question our motives.

The Kraken:
My wife had an old cat that lived to the tender age of 21.

For the last year of his wonderful life I gave him a subcutaneous IV injection of lactated Ringers solution every other night.

When it got to the point that we absolutely had to put him down, I took him to the vet and made the vet let me inject the solution.

I brought him home, bathed and dried him, placed him in his favorite blanket in his normal sleeping position, put him on my wife's side of the bed and put a candle on the night stand.

He is buried in my family cemetery in a solid cherry wood casket with a brass plaque bearing his name and years of life.

So, to answer your question . . . what is the price of your love?

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

the K

Thank you for sharing both the experience and the poem.

I have a copy of that poem and it has sustained me in the past and will in the future.

Like others who have spoken..my pets are much beloved family members. I have insurance, but there is no price, if I have it to give.

K...I have an 17 year old cat, or rather my son does (they have a bond like nothing I have seen) . She has been "his" since he was learning to walk. They have grown up together and as her years begin to show, my son is becoming increasingly alarmed about losing "Marcelle" who is truly the love of his life.

I think that you handled your cat's time with such sensitivity, such dignity and respect, for both the cat and your wife. I hope you won't mind if I follow in kind, when the time arrives. (I know this is a part of life he will need to experience, but as a mother, I dread that for him more than I would fear any losses for myself)

I have been searching for some way to manage the inevitable in a positive way---as much as is possible. Thank you again for sharing that.
W/D

good new update. The cat is back home now after spending 24 hours in Intensive care. He seems to be doing very well considering what happened. He does look a bit funny though with bare spots all over. He is ready to go back outside already, but we can't let him out so he is nevous as a cat right now. Pacing back and forth, and loooking longingly out the back window. Financially, we have never had much of an argument, about it, we will do what we need to do, but like one of the posters mentioned, when the vet tells you it is time, then we follow his instructions. It makes making the "choice" a bit easier on you , when the vet kinda decides for you, plus we find that we are too close to the pet to really make a clear decision at times like this. So it all worked out well in this case. And the Credit card is not too badly damaged by this all. Thanks for your support, and caring comments. BTW Sydney bean (the cat) also thanks you

fairybasslet:
This is such a hard question to answer. How old the pet? What is the quality of life? I spent over $3,000 on a year old cat that developed feline leukemia. He had chemo and lived an extra 6 months, with good quality. When he started to go downhill again, they wanted to do a blood transfusion. I said no because it would just be prolonging the inevitable. He was going to die, no 2 ways about it. I also had another cat with recurring breast cancer. She had so many surgeries, I started going out with my vet. At least he didn't charge me for some of the surgeries. LOL! But that was before I was married and had a kid, and also before I was a single mom. Now, I really have other responsibilities. College for my kid to pay for for one BIG one. I don't think I would ever spend that kind of money again on a pet. Even though I love them to death (poor choice of words I guess) I think about all the cats and kittens who need homes and are euthanized because there's no one to adopt them. I'd rather give another animal a shot at decent life then go through heroic efforts and use up a lot of my savings. The trouble is, these costs kind of just sneak up on you. The vet does tests to find out whats wrong, and does more tests, and more tests plus the treatment. You almost spend it before you know what happened.

Amen to that! Having kids changes everything. Pets, while still loved deeply, become just that, pets. Oh, and I couldn't agree more about adoption, and not just pets. Some of these people have spent more on pets than it would cost to adopt a child, and truely make a difference in this world! Of course, I'm just an old farm boy who moved to the city, our pets worked for us. The vet was called for cows and horses, not to make our old pets live longer. Please don't tell me that nut job that paid $40,000 to have her cat cloned was doing the right thing!!!!

kristi hager:
Amen on all of it. Before kids and before being a single mom, I paid $800 for knee surgery for my now 12 year old Samoyed. Some friends thought I was nuts. Now I am NOT paying over $100 a month for the same dog for meds. She's now almost 13 , incontinent and lives in the garage because of that (I have a downstairs full of carpet that needs replaced because I let her stay in too long). I feel like she has no quality of life at this point. vet wants me to keep her on incontinence drugs, synthroid, and an expensive pain prescription. Well over $100 a month. Probably closer to $15. Oh yeah, she barks all the time too (just woke me up at 6:30), and I fear the neighbors will hate me soon.

I was ready to end it twice, and the 1st time a friend talked me out of it the 2nd time the vet did. Guess I need the vet to tell me it's time. I love the old girl, but I feel like she is miserable, and she's making me (and others) miserable.

VERY VERY sad, and confusing as well. It's hard to make these decisions, and we question our motives.

I have to confess that reading this confuses me and makes me sad....for your Samoyed. Please don't take this as a moral judgement, but if you have drawn a financial line in the sand, as far as your pet's medical treatment....and this means that the dog is now living "life" in the garage instead of the house, in pain and incontinent and obviously distraught because she has been banished from her "pack"...then she really doesn't have a life anymore anyway, does she?

She is voicing her own confusion and feelings of abandonnment and likely discomfort when she barks and annoys you and your neighbours. What would you have her do? You are her only way to a more comfortable life or an end to her misery...perhaps she cannot suffer in silence, though that might weigh less heavily on your heart.

I am a single parent with a child soon to enter college...I have also gone back to school...so I understand budgeting and responsibility. I am not making these comments without any insight or personal experience.

May I ask why you need the vet to tell you to euthanize the poor creature?

Afterall, he has told you that the dog needs meds to be pain free and comfortable and you have disregarded that advice. You made the decision that these were not a priority. I doubt many would fault you for making this choice. BUT
if you can make this choice, then I think you do your pet a disservice by allowing her to suffer in isolation until someone else makes the final decision for you. Not making a decision is deciding, don't you think?

I apologize if my response is inflammatory. Flame away.

waterdaughter:
May I ask why you need the vet to tell you to euthanize the poor creature?

Afterall, he has told you that the dog needs meds to be pain free and comfortable and you have disregarded that advice. You made the decision that these were not a priority. I doubt many would fault you for making this choice. BUT
if you can make this choice, then I think you do your pet a disservice by allowing her to suffer in isolation until someone else makes the final decision for you. Not making a decision is deciding, don't you think?

I apologize if my response is inflammatory. Flame away.

No flames.... if the dog is suffering and you (Kristi) know it, why on earth are you making her live in the garage? So not only is she in pain, but she's separated from her family.. She deserves better than that, please do the humane thing for her asap.

I lost both of my beautiful Border Collies last year at the ages of 9 and 11. I spent $4000 trying to help them get well but there was no cure, when they died I knew I'd done everything I could. I'm still heartbroken because, as others here have said, they were my kids...I would've spent $10,000 if I could've had them with me a while longer.

MissyP:
No flames.... if the dog is suffering and you (Kristi) know it, why on earth are you making her live in the garage? So not only is she in pain, but she's separated from her family.. She deserves better than that, please do the humane thing for her asap.

I absolutely agree...... It is probably one of the toughest decisions you will ever have to make~ I had to make that decision with my horse. It was hard to make the call, as he kept fighting and fighting, and getting angry (was tired of hurting). Finally, I couldn't bear to see him suffer any longer, and the decision was made. It will hurt, but at least you can live with the fact that your loved one is no longer in pain, and they will live in your heart forever...........

These are tough things for animal lovers to go through. I love my dogs as if they were my kids. They sleep with me more than my hubbie does. I would do whatever it takes to keep them happy and safe. Sometimes they don't like what has to be done and sometimes it costs me a lot, in money, time, energy and/or convenience. I know that someday I will be faced with tough decisions about them. I will do for them what I would want done for me. When I can no longer enjoy my life and live with dignity and gleen value from life, I hope to find greener pastures and not be a burden to anyone else.

My animals are priceless, but so are their feelings and I hope I know when to decide which is more important.

Paula

Back
Top Bottom