How upset would you be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now you guys are making me a bit nervous. I was supposed to start my OW cert classes today. Only problem was, when I showed up at the shop (after a 30 minute drive) the instructor/owner looked at me and said "Did you watch the video?" To which I replied "Nope, you didn't give me one." Funny seeing how I specifically asked when scheduling "Don't I need a video and some books to study?" Well he was out of books and said he'd arrange for that. I wasn't all that worried about it at the time but the more I think about it the more I worry. I drove home, with the dvd this time, and spent the entire evening watching. Learning... well, everything I already knew from my discover scuba class and from reading this board for the last few months. No biggie, still good stuff. Only thing is, now I'm starting to think about the schedule I have. I'm going in tomorrow night again to go over the material and do the classroom stuff... at least I think so. (The shop owner was swamped with people and had JUST returned from a trip to the bahama's when I showed up) If I'm doing classroom tomorrow night, and my checkout dives are saturday and sunday... how much time am I possibly going to be able to get in the pool practicing without taking a day off work (kinda hard to do being in the military) in two days!?! Granted, he is doing this for me as a private lesson (just me all by my lonesome) at a HIGHLY discounted price, so I haven't been pressing the schedule issue. I'm also a fast learner and have already had a bit of experience (two dives). Hopefully he's taking this into account with everything. but at the same time, I don't want to get cheated just cause I'm paying 350 instead of 500. The owner and his son who work the shop are excellent guys (Spent time talking to them for quite a while previous to scheduling the class) and seem very capable. I just want to make sure I'm going to get the info I need. Guess I'll find out. Anyone else just kind of "fly by wire" on thier cert? Not have thier books? or watch the entire DVD in one night? Or is it just me?

Does he know you have taken discover scuba?
Does he know that youre a fast learner?
Those things could of course be things he has factored into the schedule.
Also, IIRC discover scuba can be used as formal basis for the OW class?

He knows I have taken the discover scuba class and through conversation at the shop just shootin the breeze he knows I'm not clueless, but while I may know the mental side I'm still lacking on a lot of hands on knowledge.Not sure whether the discover scuba actually counts toward anything...

It all depends on the agency and the instructor as to whether or not it "counts". We allow a discount for those who do a discover and then cert with us and the experience certainly goes a long way towards your comfort but it DOES NOT mean that you do not have to accomplish everything required in the standards(in this case PADI standards). There are some shortcuts that might be taken. If I demo a mask clear and you repeat it back to me and it's like looking in a mirror we do not have to go over it 20 times. I'll make you do it twice or even three times during the session and watch to see you do it during to be sure but once it's done it's done. Also one person does take alot less time than 4 or even two if the second is less than proficient shall we say but it still takes time. And going back to the OP there are certain things that must be gone over in confined water before moving to open water at least in the standards of the agencies I'm familiar with (PADI, NAUI, YMCA). And these skills must be satisfactory to the instructor based on agency guidelines. PADI calls it mastery but really very few actually "master" the skill. Kind of like the education system today. Can't read War and Peace but can fill out a job app? You've mastered reading. If these skills have not been gone over and performed this could be a serious violation of agency standards. If you are not comfortable with posting publicly please PM me with what agency you the OP went with and which one you in Ft Campbell are dealing with. I m,ay be able to direct you to whom to talk to or contact over this. To the OP, you and your mom have a serious and valid complaint based on your description of events. Please Pm me. I'd like to help.

Beachjunkie,

As a young soldier with diving experience, I think you will probably be towards the fast end of the learning curve. My mother is 55 years old and she has no diving experience. She's probably at the other end of the curve.

I'd get her hooked up with a one-on-one, personal instructor to try to remedy the messed up instructions she's had already, before she gets completely turned off diving.

Your mother should contact whatever agency it is that was attempting to certify her and tell them what happened.

definetely not a competent instructor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom