How to wash a wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a second hand 7mm farmer john wet suit that I would like to wash. A couple of questions:
- How often should one be washing a wet suit?
- I was told to hand wash the suit. I suspect that most washing machines are too rough for neoprene. However, I have one of those front loading machines that is supposed to be gentle compared to a regular washing machine. Is it okay to toss the suit in there or should I still hand wash anyway?

Thanks..

You'll probably get lots of different advice on this. I put my wetsuits in the washer on gentle cycle with regular laundry detergent after every dive trip. There's no more wear and tear on them than when I hand washed them in wetsuit shampoo. And it's a lot easier and a lot cheaper!

I toss mine in a storage tub, use a stain remover (enzyme) detergent called Kids 'N Pets, from the household cleaner section of the grocery store. Let the boots and suit soak for an hour in warm water, then rinse with fresh. Seems to work well.

I keep covered rinse tubs standing by so they are sun warmed when I need them. A couple good dunks and get the suits on broad hangers to dry out of the sun. I have another drying rack that takes the booties, socks, gloves and other hard items that need a rinse.

Sooner or latter the dreaded "funk" will find your neoprene and you''ll need to do what markfm described. My booties made it to 175 dives but now need chemical attention!

Pete

Sooner or latter the dreaded "funk" will find your neoprene and you''ll need to do what markfm described. My booties made it to 175 dives but now need chemical attention!

Pete[/QUOTE]

Pete
That means you dint pee in your suit all them dives!
Rinse your stuff each dive, with fresh water- with salt water dives ,
Man no washer at all! Neoprene will get roached quick gentle cycle or not!
Dive safe,
Brad

moneysavr:
...Man no washer at all! Neoprene will get roached quick gentle cycle or not!
Dive safe,
Brad

Funny, other than normal compression that occurs with use, my wetsuits are just fine, and I put them in the washer all the time, at least a dozen times a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom