How to trim weight with DDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the nice things about a backplate system is that it leaves your chest (and anything attached to it :) ) uncluttered. If you are very small in frame, you can cross the straps behind your neck when you weave the harness, and that will keep the straps from wanting to slide off your shoulders, or digging into your upper arms.

But again, I'd like to ask, in what direction do you rotate? If you are rolling from side to side, then either your BC is not stabilizing your tank well enough (and the tank is pulling you over), you have your weights positioned asymmetrically, or your body posture is faulty. If it is fore and aft, it is probably a simple weight and balance issue.

Edited to add: Light backplate for under 5'3": https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=4

I rolled a bit from side to side. It never seemed like the BCD was moving on my body and was quite snug. Weights were always symmetric. Body posture good.
I had moved my weights to the front only so even though its counter intuitive, maybe they need moved lateral or back?????

That backplate weighs 4 lbs! I'm a lightweight travel geek since I travel for longer periods at a time and only carry a backpack + 1 pelican case.

I'll take my BCD in the pool and monkey around with weights. Should have done that before my last trip, but didn't.

Hi Midget,

The DSS steel backplate does weigh 3.8 lbs., but the one TSandM linked to is Kydex (a composite) and weighs closer to a pound.

I happen to (so far) drive on all my dive trips, but even so here are a couple of things I like about my bp/w as compared to my dive buddy's vest BC:

1) It packs smaller
2) It dries more quickly (this is the big one) (no padding, etc., which most vest models have)
3) I have the steel plate, so it does not weigh less, but I think with the Kydex plate it probably would

Another travel possibility: DSS makes what they call a "Tropical Travel Wing." This is a single-skinned wing (as opposed to a bladder inside a fabric shell), and I can imagine it would be very nice for travel in the "dries quickly" way plus would pack even a bit smaller. I am not able to find it when shopping normally on the DSS website, but since I heard about it on SB I knew it existed and was able to find it by Googling the following:

Tropical wing site:deepseasupply.com
[edit... that is not supposed to be a huge grin! It should be "site colon deep..." with no spaces between. Well here, might as well just include a direct link: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=120

If you are buying a backplate and wing, you can often get a package deal with harness, cam bands, etc. that is more economical than buying everything separately.

Other companies may make a wing like this too; I'm not sure.

I would imagine it is more vulnerable if you are diving sharp wrecks and the like, but for reef diving I kind of wish I had gotten it (I have a regular liner/shell wing).

Blue Sparkle

Last edited:
Ah. Now I see the Kydex backplate. I missed it before. It weighs 1.4 pounds. That's better :)

Plate weights as opposed to a weight belt bolted onto the back of your backplate can be a big help because they place the weight, for the most part, over the area that needs it. Trim weights can be helpful but they can cause a bit of rotational instability simply due to position if you get too much weight back there.

i have a couple sets of lead plates(different weights, one for the CCR, one for monkey diving) that my friend who has a mold made for me, and they are just delightful. I believe a SS version commercially available for standard size backplates from Deep Sea Supply.

For a travel version, take a look at this: http://www.ocularoasis.com/weights/

As far as backplates for smaller people, a standard backplate will work on almost anyone over 5', but almost all the mfg's make a "small" backplate which is generally an inch or so shorter and an inch or so narrower. Backplate and Harness | Halcyon Dive Systems

combining a 6lb STA, some trim weights and something like the ACB 10 works well for ladies up here in the cold water wearing drysuit. having the weight in the ACB system gets the weight up higher (depending on how your kit is rigged) than a weight belt without having the standard sliding down hurting your hips or having to be so tight it crushes your diaphragm.

Finally, i work as a scrub in surgery, and one of the surgeons i work with does the best breast reductions i've seen (and i've seen many many done by many different docs) his name is Dr. Drew Welk in Seattle. His specialty is reconstruction for mastectomy and aesthetically pleasing reductions. The biggest problem with reductions is that many times the doc's treat them like "all they want is smaller" not hearing "i want beautiful small breasts that look nice with or without clothes on". Women shouldn't just be settling for 'smaller', women should be expecting a nice result. (I don't work for him or his office)

(okay, off my boob job soap box) :wink:

I wish this thread had been around a year ago when was trying to figure all this out! (Of course there were other threads that helped - thanks SB :).)

It does seem to be somewhat "build" dependent and not just height dependent. I'm 5'5" so I should be too tall for a small plate; but as it turned out, the "regular" sized plates (about 15") didn't fit me all that well. I think it was due to a combination of short waisted, and having hips. Whatever BC I'm wearing, the waist strap is going around my waist and NO lower, so anything "left over" comes out up at my shoulders. With the 15" plate that meant that the plate was actually somewhat "above" my shoulder, and so the straps came "down" onto my shoulders from the plate. This made for some slack that could not be adjusted out and let the tank move around more than I liked. It still worked way better than any vest BCs I had tried, but since small was available... I was able to make it even better.

The small plate fits me just great, and even with the shoulder straps somewhat loose, doesn't tend to shift like the taller plates did.

I think if one is less hippy (or longer waisted), then there is more room for adjustment. Or maybe I'm just odd :wink:

I did try on a Halcyon 14" plate (sans tank), and -- at least in the store -- it seemed like it would have worked as well. I can't be sure though since I never dived with it (I was diving with a rental Halcyon rig, which had a 15" plate).

Thank goodness for SB, because I don't live around a community of divers, as many of you (lucky people) seem to :)

Blue Sparkle

How compact does your SS BP/W get for packing?

Don't ankle weights goof up your pitch in the water?

Sorry, Midget -- I was recommending the ankle weights not as ankle weights, but as a small, easily attached weight you can move around and attach (or shove in pocket) as necessary.

Like TSandM says, figure out which way you roll, and then put a weight on the upper, or light side. That's why a friend is handy - you just hang motionless in the water, and your friend puts the weights in different places.

I wish this thread had been around a year ago when was trying to figure all this out! (Of course there were other threads that helped - thanks SB :).)

It does seem to be somewhat "build" dependent and not just height dependent. I'm 5'5" so I should be too tall for a small plate; but as it turned out, the "regular" sized plates (about 15") didn't fit me all that well. I think it was due to a combination of short waisted, and having hips. Whatever BC I'm wearing, the waist strap is going around my waist and NO lower, so anything "left over" comes out up at my shoulders. With the 15" plate that meant that the plate was actually somewhat "above" my shoulder, and so the straps came "down" onto my shoulders from the plate. This made for some slack that could not be adjusted out and let the tank move around more than I liked. It still worked way better than any vest BCs I had tried, but since small was available... I was able to make it even better.

The small plate fits me just great, and even with the shoulder straps somewhat loose, doesn't tend to shift like the taller plates did.

I think if one is less hippy (or longer waisted), then there is more room for adjustment. Or maybe I'm just odd :wink:

I did try on a Halcyon 14" plate (sans tank), and -- at least in the store -- it seemed like it would have worked as well. I can't be sure though since I never dived with it (I was diving with a rental Halcyon rig, which had a 15" plate).

Thank goodness for SB, because I don't live around a community of divers, as many of you (lucky people) seem to :)

Blue Sparkle

I'm odd like you Sistah GF...:)

:admingreet:

For a while I was starting to wonder if it was just me.

the waist belt on a backplate and wing often does not (and should not depending on your trim
characteristics) need to be 'at your natural waist'. I have no waist, my rib cage is basically sitting on my hips. to trim out my tanks so they are comfortable I actually wear my shoulder straps a bit longer and my waist belt becomes 'hip hugger'. the crotch strap is what keeps the whole system stable. I have a little bitty plate, but I actually found the 'small' plate pressed on my S/I area and would bruise, so I went back to a regular size plate that presses on the ...um more meaty area of my tush :)

anyhow, the backplate doesn't have to press right into your back like an exoskeleton... and waistbelt lower can help you feel less head heavy/foot light. often times divers are head heavy, so they trap a bubble in their bc or suit that makes them feel stable, but due to basic principles will make you dive 'head up' at approx 45 degree.. this can be mistaken for being torso light/foot heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom