Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Little Cayman is truly a fantastic place for underwater photographers for so many reasons. To name a few: clear blue water, the virtual absence of currents, friendly fauna, and some World-Class dive sites only minutes away.

©Tiago Peixoto - How to shoot stingrays in little cayman - JUST STINGRAYS
Southern Stingray feeding in the sand.
Canon 5D IV | Canon 8-15mm | 1/125 | ISO 100 | ƒ11

Little Cayman’s reef system hosts some very interesting and photographer-friendly characters. Among them are the Southern Stingrays. In this article, we will talk about how to approach them and how to capture some of Little Cayman’s classic shots.

©Tiago Peixoto - How to shoot stingrays in little cayman - Capturing a stingray
Capturing a stingray with its entourage of other critters is a great way to add more elements and interest to your image.
Canon 5D IV | Canon 8-15mm | 1/200 | ISO 100 | ƒ11

©Jim Decker - How to shoot stingrays - Interesting shot
Nikon Z7 | Nikon 8-15mm | 1/200sec | ISO 64 | ƒ8

As I was wading in waist deep water at 0700 this morning a stingray almost tipped me over with surprise
so I missed it
then shot this banjo instead

003.JPG

from above the water, good enough for me

How to 'shoot' stingrays? The very first - or last? - tip should be "don't approach them from behind", as Steve 'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin fatally learnt. :bash:

Inner-Space-Visitor-under-IJNS-Amagiri-wreck-Malacca-Strait.jpg

Considering Stingrays are able to move also with their tail whipping up and forwards

Your tip is as idiotic as your example tasteless

Considering Stingrays are able to move also with their tail whipping up and forwards

Your tip is as idiotic as your example tasteless
Tasteless? Pray tell? You mean the Crocodile Hunter example? If so, that is exactly what happened. A perfect example of a very experienced person making a fatal mistake around a ray. And I have yet to hear of a photographer being barbed when approaching a sting ray from the front.

And except Irwin do you know of any that got stung while approaching them from behind?

And except Irwin do you know of any that got stung while approaching them from behind?
Not barbed, but close enough to be a good scare. Several people. And what, is Mr Irwin's death not enough for you to set an example of what not to do?

Back
Top Bottom