How to secure the line on a spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I just got myself a finger spool will 100' of line (great deal at Scubatoys:eyebrow:) and am a newbie to these things. It's small, to I plan on stowing it in my BC pocket and bringing it out when I need to deploy my SMB (yes, I'm going to practice whenever I get a chance :14:). SO I was wondering if any of you have any tips on how to secure the line and brass clip so it doesn't slacken or unroll around the spool? Yet is still easy to deploy. OK, it will be in my pocket, so it's not as big a deal. But I like things tidy, especially if I want it to unroll as planned!

What do you guys/ galls do/ use?

Thanks in advance!:coffee:

Unless you need all 100', remove about 20 to 25' and do a little rewinding so the double ender will snap thru one of the holes on the side. Then you retie the loop, about 8 inches long so it is easy to pass the spool thru the loop to connect to the bag or whatever. Then, as you approach the end (1 to 1.5 inches ) of the wrapped line, I run the loop thru a hole and outside the spool. Clip the loop in the double ender and then clip the double ender thru another hole in the spool. Make sure the line is tight enough that it can not come off the spool without being unclipped. The line should be held away from the opening in the clip so it can't errantly slip thru. Stick it in your pocket if you would like or clip it to a D-ring. If you want to keep all the line, it may be difficult to open up enough holes to run the loop and clip the ndouble ender thru.

Thanks Awap, I'm going to try that out.:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom