How to Secure Tanks on a Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likes2Cruise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
More specifically, I am in a boat club and want to use their boats for diving. They have different types of boats and it will depend on where I am going as to what boat I might use.

The problem is that non are specifically 'dive boats' so do not have the mounted tank holders.

Is there any product that would be an effective portable tank holder that can be secured easily in various styles of boats?

You really don't need dedicated holders, like you see on dive boats. We dive from our own boat (its a 31' open fisherman - bet you can guess the make!).

You have a few options -

You could purchase a "Pelican Box" that holds 4 or 6 tanks (fewer if you have them rigged up - problem is - unless things changed, they did not hold larger sizes; designed for AL 80's. One option - and if you use it, it needs to be secured; bungee cords or the like. Personally, I prefer to store loose tanks in a hold.

A better option is to rig the tanks with the b/c attached - we often put the regulators on too; has the advantage of keeping the tanks from rolling around. You can position the tanks any place on the boat you want; we just put ours in the back/stern, but for weight distribution you can position as you like.

You can use - if its calm - a PVC or foam separated tank holder; I personally think it works better in a car trunk but a friend uses it for tanks and swears by it.

Finally, there are various tank holders that use a similar system as the dive boats; they operate via suction cups; have the advantage of portability; I've never used one but have seen them at boat shows; not cheap.

Here are some sites to get you started; you can also check Leisure Pro:

<LI id=productbox class=g>Shopping results for suction mounted tank holders

Scuba Tank Holder - Suction Mount W/ No Damage
$50.00 new - eBay
Frag-a-Saurus Racks - Bronto - Suction Cup Mount, Black Acrylic, ...
$17.15 new - Salty Supply
Frag-a-Saurus Racks - Stega - Suction Cup Mount, Black Acrylic, 7 Hole
$8.49 new - Salty Supply
<LI class=g>SUCTION CUP DIVE SCUBA TANK BOAT RACK HOLDER Spear Gun Rack

SCUBA TANK BOAT RACKS; Speargun Mount; Luxury Premium; Casanova Collection; Trusted Since 1930. ... Flip Up 3-Tank Holder Rack System - Suction Cup Mouted ...
casanovasadventures.com/catalog/dive/p1190.htm - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>SCUBA TANK HOLDER - SUCTION MOUNT W/ NO DAMAGE - eBay (item ...

eBay: Find SCUBA TANK HOLDER - SUCTION MOUNT W/ NO DAMAGE in the Sporting Goods , Water Sports , SCUBA Snorkeling , Tanks category on eBay.
cgi.ebay.com/...TANK-HOLDER-SUCTION-MOUNT...-/220653848088 - Cached
<LI class=g>[PDF] Tanks & tank accessories - Trident CATALOG 2010_TRIDENT NEW ...

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
Beverage Holders. Adhesive Mount. Suction Mount. Track Mount. Wine Glass ... 2 adjustable size tank holders, will hold tanks up to 8 1/2&#8221; diameter. ...
www.tridentdive.com/tank.pdf - Similar

I just use duct tape.

KIDDING! I agree with Rob, just mount with BC and lay down. So far as second unrigged tank, you can block from rolling using weight pouches.

I hate Pelican racks, they are so hard to get tanks in and out of and they rust like crazy.

I would not trust suction cups to hold tanks.

Thanks for the info and quick response.
I'll need to check out the various boats to see which will work the best across various boat types.

I just use duct tape.

KIDDING! I agree with Rob, just mount with BC and lay down. So far as second unrigged tank, you can block from rolling using weight pouches.

This would keep them from rolling....but what about bouncing?
And would the bouncing up and down on a rigged tank cause damage to the BC?

Naw, we do it all the time. Like Rob said, lay them in the back near the stern. I lay them down with the tank down and BC up and of course they roll to the side a bit.

If you're not out jumping wakes for sport, how much bouncing are you going to do? If the seas are rough enough to bounce the boat that badly, you should thumb the dives anyway.

Well, novice boater here...I've sent a few friends to the chiropractor already by mistiming wake from other boats.
I guess the word of the day would be 'caution'
Of course, I still need to get the certification on the clubs 'off shore' boats before much of this matters. Although a boat ride to a shore dive or tooth hunting would be possible with the non-off shore ones.

I also need to find a boat diver down flag and pole.

You may want to consider taking a boat handling course. A friend of mine runs Marine Mentors in Fort Lauderdale and she is AWESOME. She could probably refer you to someone in your area.

Dive shops, West Marine, Bass Pro shops will have the flag. Get a long piece of PVC pipe that is the diameter to fit in the rod holders. Attach the flag to the PVC pipe. Have a method of securing the flag around the pole, wrapped, when you are underway (bungee or hook and loop strap or something).

I just use duct tape.

I hate Pelican racks, they are so hard to get tanks in and out of and they rust like crazy.

I would not trust suction cups to hold tanks.
Ya know, you are right (not about the duct tape LOL!!) about the Pelican Racks/Boxes (??) - plus, if you used a tank boot they always got hung up on the rack it seemed. Sometimes if you pulled hard, straight up you left the boot in the rack - 'course I was much younger when we used it and it fit great in the hold of a 25' Contender. Memories.....

Re the suction cup holders, agree 100% especially if they just have "arms" - it will never hold tanks if the seas kick up; plus it likely will not hold rigged tanks nor larger ones - if someone wants to go this route (and frankly, I've been tempted) you need a strap that goes around the tank to make sure it does not get loose - just the "arms" alone will not hold it; also make certain you measure correctly to see if it will hold your size tank.

Don't spend the money; just rig 'em up w/ a b/c - never had an issue (even w/ the reg's attached) since 1985.

I have had great success with those little 2 and 3 slot blue foam racks.
Look at this link.
http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-foam-tank-rack
They are for flat storage though.
Chug
Likes the "Blue Foamies".

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom