How to remove the plastic tank bottoms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't like my short HP tank's bottom plastic cover. How do you remove them without cutting them up?

Soaking in hot water?

I'm not sure it can be done in some cases. These things seem to mold onto the tanks.

I would suggest running hot water over the cover for 5 minutes or so, and see if you can pry it off. Try a rubber mallet, and maybe a 1"by to try and knock it loose. If that does not work, if you really want it off, you may have to destroy it.

Keep in mind once removed the tank is no longer going to be as stable standing. You may determine that once removed, you want to put it back on. I can't imagine it is resulting in problems diving...

I have the opposite problem. I have one that is cracked, and need to get a new one!

hot water might help. but just use a rubber mallet and tap them off. (rubber so it won't knick the paint if you've got painted steels.)

If you want to stand your HP steel's upright though, you'll want to keep those boots on.

The guy at my LDS used a rubber mallet to knock mine off. A block of wood and a regular hammer woud also work if you dont have access to a rubber mallet.

A #4 lead weight with straight sides tapped around the boot lip does the trick.
Just be careful of the valve if you don't have anything to rest the tank on.

Just had to do this last week when I doubled up some 119's. Mallet (or being VERY careful) a hammer and tapping the lip one side then the other. They will come right off.

I normally use a hammer and cover the tank and tank boot with a towel to help soften the blow. I also don't hit the tank boot particularly hard -- might take 10 or more smacks to work it off, alternating sides. Works fine, doesn't mess up the tank, and doesn't mess up the boot. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom