How to remove Seized Din Insert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you tighten before loosening?

just an old mechanics trick for breaking rust stuck bolts. It often works better for breaking the corrosion than just trying to loosen in. The physics involved are fairly complicated, but @Bob DBF talked about some of them.
The far more important part though is Impact>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I can't put enough greater than signs in here but here's some more>>>>>> wrenches.

just an old mechanics trick for breaking rust stuck bolts. It often works better for breaking the corrosion than just trying to loosen in. The physics involved are fairly complicated, but @Bob DBF talked about some of them.
The far more important part though is Impact>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I can't put enough greater than signs in here but here's some more>>>>>> wrenches.

More uggaduggas, got it

Here is my theory why using heat works best. Heating the part causes the trapped air in the threads to expand and vent out. Spraying immediately with penetrating oil cools the part creating a partial vacuum in the threads and sucks in the oil.
Heat is a well known trick, you heat the outside and the metal expands (making a bigger hole). I've also used canned air to cool a bolt to help break it (shrinking it, but heating is better as it's generally a larger temperature difference). Just remember to not get too hot or the metal looses some of it's useful properties (assuming reuse).

Heat is a well known trick, you heat the outside and the metal expands (making a bigger hole). I've also used canned air to cool a bolt to help break it (shrinking it, but heating is better as it's generally a larger temperature difference). Just remember to not get too hot or the metal looses some of it's useful properties (assuming reuse).

And if that doesn't work break out the old flame wrench.

When I worked in high speed web printing and we had siezed bearings on a large shaft, our trick was heat the inner race until red and then hit it with a CO2 fire extinguisher! Those puppies would crack right off! We did however employ some lexan shields, just in case of a shrapnel event!

I feel like I've been waiting years to hear,
Did you get the insert out?
Impact gun, heat, oil, forward and back, or what combo of all of these?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom