how to remove hose protectors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm building a reg-set in the store I tell customers that if you can pull them back without stressing the hose, keep them. I tell them to pull the cover back to rinse around the fitting and/or inspect the hose for signs of deterioration. Most regs come stock with this kind of protector. It's the cheap colored ones that bear hug the hose that I refuse to sell unless specifically asked for.

As for removal - I use a razor blade and cut them off, but I've also been a mechanic for several years and trust myself not to hack 'n slash.

I never understood the purpose of these heavy unwieldy hose protectors, to clean or inspect under them you have to pull and tug on the most fragile part of the hose. I have seen some thin protectors that slide easily, I would like to get some of these ones. As for the ScubaPro hoses I would just cut the end of the hose off and slide the protector off the cut end of the hose. Now that you hacked up the SP hose you can package it up into a small USPS flat rate box and send it to ScubaPro to show them how you feel about that stupid nut they use on the second stage fitting:D!

I never understood the purpose of these heavy unwieldy hose protectors

If you don't understand why hose protectors are on gear, I'll explain it to you. It's to protect the hose at the crimp and prevent the hard metal from cutting into the soft rubber (or braiding) at the sudden change of flexibility, or from the simple change in flexibility from runner to plastic/braid doing the same.

Because some divers don't use their gear all that much, they may not see the need for these things.

But in every field where there is a metal rubber interface like this and the gear is used constantly, some kind of stress release is need to keep the rubber from getting destroyed at that point. Next time you go near any kind of cables not that they are built in. Power cordes, Microphones, USD cables, headphones cables.

People who build this stuff for a living are not doing it for fashion, because they would gladly not have to spend the extra money for the molding an assembly. And people who are constantly dealing with cabling that gets transported and packed everyday (roadies for bands) even go well beyond the built in stress releif and even tape extra loops of the hose back on themselves to add more stress relief.

The hose protectors that can get pulled down, will get pulled in heavy usage and will cause more harm than good by doing away with any natural stress relief that comes from the flex of the hose by making the first few inches of the flex hose as stiff and the crimp.

The basically unmoveable gradually flexing hose protector actually do the job of protecting the hose. But the are basically a permanent install. Which is fine, because the lack of permanent built-in stress relief in scuba hoses is actually a design flaw that needs permanent solution.

If you don't understand why hose protectors are on gear, I'll explain it to you. It's to protect the hose at the crimp and prevent the hard metal from cutting into the soft rubber (or braiding) at the sudden change of flexibility, or from the simple change in flexibility from runner to plastic/braid doing the same.

Um, I know why hose protectors are used. I just don't understand why they have to be so hard to remove to inspect or clean the hose and fitting under them. But thanks for the informative lesson.

Because some divers don't use their gear all that much, they may not see the need for these things.

But in every field where there is a metal rubber interface like this and the gear is used constantly, some kind of stress release is need to keep the rubber from getting destroyed at that point. Next time you go near any kind of cables not that they are built in. Power cordes, Microphones, USD cables, headphones cables.

People who build this stuff for a living are not doing it for fashion, because they would gladly not have to spend the extra money for the molding an assembly. And people who are constantly dealing with cabling that gets transported and packed everyday (roadies for bands) even go well beyond the built in stress releif and even tape extra loops of the hose back on themselves to add more stress relief.

You mention "the people that build this stuff". Those people, engineers I would assume, seam to lack two distinct things. One being real world experience with what they are designing (just because it looks good on a computer does not mean it will work out in real life) and the other is common sense (And this in not just in SCUBA but in almost all industry). On the other hand the engineers that build this stuff may not want them there, it may be the marketing departments that insist on them. It may go something like this, (Our core consumer group is new or inexperienced divers, all the other manufacturers provide hose protectors so to keep our product appealing to the consumer we will need to provide these pretty hose protectors also. If an experienced diver purchases our equipment and does not want the hose protector they will just cut it off). You do bring up a good point though about the people that deal with cabling for a living, yes I totally agree some kind of strain relief is very important. Now I'm sure if you started to provide the roadies cables with metal ends and strain protectors that would trap a liquid under them and told them to submerse the cable end into a corrosive liquid under pressure there they would probably tell you you were nuts. My point in my last post was I just don't see the point in having thees heavy stiff hose protectors that will trap salt water under them. To remove some hose protectors takes considerable force, so when you pull them down to inspect the hose under them you are pulling and twisting at the most fragile part of the hose. I have pulled some protectors off that have not seen water in over a year and were still wet under them and the fittings were all green and corroded. I just don't see the point in them.

The hose protectors that can get pulled down, will get pulled in heavy usage and will cause more harm than good by doing away with any natural stress relief that comes from the flex of the hose by making the first few inches of the flex hose as stiff and the crimp.

Why can't you check and make sure all your hose protectors are seated properly every once in a while?

The basically unmoveable gradually flexing hose protector actually do the job of protecting the hose. But the are basically a permanent install. Which is fine, because the lack of permanent built-in stress relief in scuba hoses is actually a design flaw that needs permanent solution.

Yes they do a very good job at protecting the hose as they were designed to do but it is the environment they are used in that makes them less than desirable. Now if you look at almost any other strain relief it is either a plastic coil or metal mesh that will allow you to see the fitting and also allow water to flush through. Why can't SCUBA hoses use a plastic coil type of strain relief? I think making a permanent strain relief would be a waste, it would increase the price of the hose and if you are somewhat careful with your equipment the rubber will dry out and crack before there is a problem at the fitting anyway.

My retort in red

But people who use the hell out of gear find that the worry about the crimp fitting dechroming from water trapping is not a factor in the life of the hose, and the lack of strain relief is. Who cares if a piece of chromed brass (or stainless in some hoses) get surface discoloration when it is covered by a hose protector? It does not matter to the lifetime of the hose, and it is just cosmetic.

So the options are
1. permanently installing something that does no damage to the hose in terms of life expectancy due to discoloration, and significantly extends hose life by adding proper strain relief
2. putting a movable hose protector which can multiply the stress on the hose if it slides out of position, and stresses the hose when actually the hose protector in slid around the hose.
3. Not putting a hose protector on

There are three options. #1 gives the longest life for the hose, #2 gives the shortest, and #3 gives slightly longer than the shortest.

Of course hose are pretty durable no matter what one does outside of really heavy usage. But in heavy usage, #1 extends the life of the hose significantly by removing physical dislocation of the rubber (or braid) jacket from under the crimp.

On the other hand, new hoses are not really that expensive for people maintaining just personal sets, and hose protectors do actually cost some real percentage of the cost of a new hose. In rental or on people diving daily, twenty bucks here, and twenty bucks there for new hoses adds up fast, and the cost of the proper hose protector is a savings.

One problem is that there is one type of hose protector that provides proper strain relief and a bunch that actual just move the point of strain off the crimp (the heavy stiff hose protectors you must be referring to). If someone only see the second type, there won't seem much advantage to hose protectors, because there is not. But like all things, some are made well, and some are not. A proper strain relief is tapered, and soft to the touch.

What I've seen happen more often than not on high use items is the hose protector migrating up the hose and serving no purpose whatsoever - every single one of our rental regs that use the permanent installed types are like this, drives me nuts. To try and reposition them would only stress the hose even more as they are secured to the hose itself.

I'm curious if the movable hose protectors you speak of are the same that I deal with. Many of the ones I've seen included on a reg from the factory have locked securely over the fitting and hug the hose itself firmly. They provide protection from extreme bends, but can be pulled back without any undue stress on the hose for rinsing/inspection. Manufacturing these would obviously be more expensive than the aftermarket press-on type, but since they are not permanently installed they have the potential for re-use. These seem like the best solution to me, but I don't know of any decently priced source for them.

I am assuming you see the stiff chunky ones migrate.

These IST/ISC knockoffs of the UK hose protectors (now that UK only sells black hoseprotectors)

http://easywatersports.com/pics/clearance_inno_hose_protectors.png

Are the ones to get, for permanent install and gradual stress relief. But they are basically only coming off a hose by cutting, unless one is willing to pull on the crimp.

Just about every other kind

http://seavenger.com/product_thumb.php?img=images/SEAVENGER_HP2-allcolor.jpg&w=350&h=350

And all the other are counterproductive because they wander and when they wander they make the bend right at the end of the crimp.

Back
Top Bottom