How to promote nitrox and mixed gas diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say you have to make it clear that Americans hate Nitrox and Trimixs! That it is "So European" to use Nitrox and Trimix! Also mention that only the French, home of SCUBA, are the only ones smart enough to Do It Right! And last but not least offer some wine and Brie with every class! :wink:

France is a bit rife for that sort of thing.

There have been all sorts of issues with France legally not recognising non-CMAS certifications and so forth. For example, a TDI Advanced Trimix diver I know was depth limited by law when diving in France (to something silly like 24m) because he wasn't a CMAS 2* diver.

It may have changed, but I suspect that there will be plenty of legal issues around mixed gas.

I meant with procuring said gases, not diving them. This is of course working on the assumption that people are legally qualified and thus able to do so, and just want cheaper fills.

Good to know though. I just looked at the CMAS site and gave up on trying to figure it out.

Here are some possible questions your club president might ask. Substitute Trimix or Heliox or Helitrox for "nitrox".

What is nitrox?
What benefit does it provide to divers?
How does nitrox diving differ from air diving?
What risks does nitrox pose to divers?
Would the average club member perceive a benefit to nitrox training?
What additional/special equipment is required?
What additional/special training is required?
What books and other materials are necessary for nitrox training?
Where can one purchase nitrox/is it readily available in our area?
What is the cost per cylinder?
How much will our insurance premiums increase if we offer nitrox training or dives?
Do we have qualified instructors within the club? If not, how much will it cost members to go outside the club for instruction? Is it desirable to encourage members to go outside the club for training?
What governmental restrictions exist on nitrox? Are special permits required?

I would say you have to make it clear that Americans hate Nitrox and Trimixs! That it is "So European" to use Nitrox and Trimix! Also mention that only the French, home of SCUBA, are the only ones smart enough to Do It Right! And last but not least offer some wine and Brie with every class! :wink:
I am wondering where you got your impressions regarding French attitudes. Have you ever been to France? Have you ever spoken with a French person? Does your insight go beyond the fact that they export wine and Brie?

Last edited:

That is Soooo pre Sarkozy.

This is KAOS, Papabear. We do not joke here!
Oh, wait. This is ScubaBoard. I guess we can joke, just not everyone will get it :wink:

Perhaps if you had said Onion Sandwiches, instead of brie?

This is KAOS, Papabear. We do not joke here!
Oh, wait. This is ScubaBoard. I guess we can joke, just not everyone will get it :wink:

Perhaps if you had said Onion Sandwiches, instead of brie?
Ideally a joke would be clever and--dare one hope--original. But, of course, there are lots of jokes that just rehash worn-out stereotypes and appeal to the lowest common denominator. I'm glad Papa Bear found his natural audience.

:catfight:

Hello all

first of all, thank you for your first feedbacks.
You're right, the French legal context is a trigger for my question ; but not the only one.

In order to try to overcome the "lack" of French regulation knowledge, I would put the question like that : in your dive association / agency or in your club, what have you experimented in order to promote nitrox and trimix diving (or to be convinced to go for it) ? What were the difficulties you faced ? How did you solve them ?

We all have different approaches to handle this subject. It's rich to be able to share all cultural and agency best pratices. I hope you'll help me chasing away some "dinausors". :wink:

The idea has not with much resistance with the people and organizations I dive with, at least not in recent years. Nitrox is widely accepted in the USA, and in my area it's possible to go to the local dive shop for custom blends of trimix, nitrox, and even pure oxygen if you have appropriate certifications. The only relevant questions are:
  • Is the gas appropriate for the dive?
  • Are you qualified to use it?
  • Are the advantages of using it worth the expense?
There really isn't any "convincing" to be done, although divers who aren't familiar with the gasses may need to be educated first.

In my case, I wanted to be able to extend my NDL limits on moderately deep dives, so I got nitrox training. I later wanted to be able to do accelerated decompression, so I got advanced nitrox (>40% O2) training. When I wanted to be able to extend my bottom time on dives that are deeper than recreational limits while reducing narcosis, I got trimix training.

Back
Top Bottom