how to prevent leg cramps (calves)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only have calf cramps while swimming back to the dive boat face up with the BCD full inflated.
I've been practicing in the pool swimming face up with my fins on.
I normally eat a lot of bananas and in South America there is no myth about bananas and boats. Even more, bananas are always present in each dive boat, as they are considered to add to prevent calf cramps or cramps in general.
Another thing I normally do is to drink once a day Magnesium Chloride diluted in water (a caffee cup).

I'm sure it's been said already but I feel like posting before reading...

Bananas are a great natural source of potassium that helps prevent muscle cramps. That and keeping hydrated will go a long way.

Another thing is just to do daily stretching to keep the muscles limber.

A baked potatoe has more potassium then a banana.
One serving of skin-on potatoes (5.3-ounces) contains 720 mg of potassium, making it an excellent source of potassium. Runners-up in the potassium category include broccoli (540 mg per serving), bananas (400 mg per serving), tomatoes (360 mg per serving), and oranges (260 mg per serving).

A lot of info on this thread. I love bananas, water, stretching. I do it all just so I am fit for diving in general, but for staying away from leg cramps while diving I found Force Fins to be my solution.

Everybody solves their problems differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom