How to plan second dive of the day using a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2. There is absolutely no way a beginning diver could possibly learn how to use his dive computer by just reading the manual that comes with the computer.
there is
when you know what is behind the scene.

can a physician learn his job only by using a stethoscope ?

Another approach would be to wear your new dive computer on your first few dives, but plan and conduct your dive using tables. At the end of the first dive, scroll through the log book and review the dive planner feature. You'll have plenty of time to go through the manual as you learn to navigate your computer through the log book and planner menus.

Eventually you can start to rely solely on your computer if you wish.

With many computers...if you do nothing.....they will display depth and time along with NDL time remaining and ascent rate. (You don't need to read the manual to access these...they are always on display)
Dive tables, but pay attention to what your computer is displaying during and after your dive.

Learn your computer by using it as an addition to your table dives.

If you took a class that ONLY taught a computer......you might have to teach yourself how to read a table, but it's still doable.

***I just tested this the other day. I spent 25 minutes teaching my 7 year old daughter how to plan 2 dives with a NAUI dive table.
The next day I had her plan a bunch of dives just to see if what I taught her stuck.
It did......she thinks it's fun to plan dives...it was a fun thing for me to do with her.

My point is....that if you are diving the tables, there is no stress or pressure on you as you gradually incorporate using your computer into your diving and planning.

-Mitch

Another approach would be to wear your new dive computer on your first few dives, but plan and conduct your dive using tables. At the end of the first dive, scroll through the log book and review the dive planner feature. You'll have plenty of time to go through the manual... With many computers...if you do nothing.....they will display depth and time along with NDL time remaining and ascent rate. (You don't need to read the manual to access these...they are always on display)

In principle, that's fine for basic dive management, if nothing goes wrong. Dive computers are a no-brainer if your dive is trouble-free.

That said, the deficiency I see most in computer divers is that they don't translate/adapt/implement the contingency procedures to computers that they are/would be taught on tables.

A primary example of this is emergency deco. PADI tables have a clear-cut procedure on how to manage an 'over-stay' at depth beyond NDL. On a tables driven courses, knowledge/understanding of that procedure gets taught, quizzed, reviewed and examined in the theory study components.

Someone taught to dive on tables knows what to do if they exceed an NDL. In contrast, most computer users I've dived with have no clue about the deco mode on their computer - having never 'seen' it for real on a dive... probably to the extent that they forget their computer even has a deco mode... and certainly to the extent that they have no concept of 'ceilings' or 'ascent times'.

Should a diver be relying on equipment that they don't have full knowledge of? Is it acceptable to dive without a clear understanding of the contingency procedures you might have to rely upon in the worst case scenarios? If so, how many dives is it 'safe' to complete based upon gamblers odds that your insufficient knowledge won't bite you in the ass? :)

My point is....that if you are diving the tables, there is no stress or pressure on you as you gradually incorporate using your computer into your diving and planning.

I agree with this principle. I like the tables, not just as a dive planner, but because they have those sweet little 'table rules' that cover most of the contingencies; emergency deco, flying after diving, surface intervals, repetitive dive rules, cold-water rules, 'grey-zone' rules for PGs that add conservatism.

Those are procedures that help safe-guard your safety, but not something you'd get from using a computer alone with a 'plunge and pray' attitude.

Personally, I think PADI has been crafty to abdicate teaching responsibility through the 'computer only' version of the OW course. The main emphasis of which seems to be 'Read the computer manual and follow those procedures'. There SHOULD be an incorporation of that secondary knowledge into the course structure itself, review/quiz/exam questions that ask; "What does your computer tell you to do in X, Y or Z situation?". Of course, that'd rely on instructors actually having to work to validate each individual answer - which is something PADI does attempt to avoid.. "expect our mass-produced instructors to apply knowledge and understanding from outside of instructor manual... are you maaaaad?!?" :wink:

I would hate to have a bunch of my posts deleted (again), but this entire discussion is bizarre.

Teaching has devolved to blindly following a computer and at the same time new divers are making the argument that a new diver is too stupid to read a manual to glean the most basic of operational criteria from it ???????

I mean come on, how hard is it... the computer has one button! When it starts flashing and beeping you come up. If it gets hard to breath, you come up faster.

Read the dive manual, read the computer manual and learn the most simplistic of concepts of diffusion, saturation and supersaturation.

My 10 yr old had a working knowledge of the theory.

You people are scaring me.

Which is why I like computers with simulators built in, like the Suunto Vyper. You can do extreme "dives" and see what the display looks like. The DiveNav courses also help as well as the DivePal simulator. The manuals are not the best for showing you what the display will look like under different conditions.

......The DiveNav courses also help as well as the DivePal simulator. .....
Thanks.
And we have another cool gadget in the works .....:wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

...//...Dive computers are a no-brainer if your dive is trouble-free.

...//...Someone taught to dive on tables knows what to do if they exceed an NDL.

In contrast, most computer users I've dived with have no clue about the deco mode on their computer - having never 'seen' it for real on a dive... ...//...

Thanks Andy, nice assessment.

-Learning tables before transitioning to the dive computer of your choice has many advantages.

-Enjoy the computer, but keep your contingency procedures sharp.

-Gas planning reinforces contingency procedures. A lot of the gas planning exercise is the "what if" parts.

........ In contrast, most computer users I've dived with have no clue about the deco mode on their computer - having never 'seen' it for real on a dive... probably to the extent that they forget their computer even has a deco mode... and certainly to the extent that they have no concept of 'ceilings' or 'ascent times'. .......
This ("having never 'seen' it for real on a dive") is exactly the problem we are solving with our tools:
- in the online classes we have a dedicated section that shows the model-specific dive computer in action during a deco situation (with all bells and whistles)
- in divePAL we have coded in the deco screens of the model-specific dive computers we support: draw a dive profile that sends you in deco and the model-specific dive computers will respond to it - step by step
- eDiving, being the ultimately dive simulator, supports deco situations

Tools (sponsored by manufacturers) to explain model-specific dive computers ARE available .... unfortunately some agencies (and their instructors) have a bit of NIH on this subject.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Interesting that the thread has now moved onto the deco mode of computers.

As I see it the deco mode is not something to be understood by the casual diver. Yes for the experienced/ technically orientated diver they may be able to execute a series of stops if they err into the red zone, but most divers will not be capable of this. Which is why we teach basics for exceeding NDL's i.e extended safety stops. There is little need for more knowledge than this for the casual diver. At OW we teach what to do if we exceeded by less than or more than 5 minutes - go to safety stop. If your computer fails - go to safety stop etc etc
All this information is given on the computer screen, as the diver approaches safety stop depth the penalty time is already clear for the diver. As to what understanding you need beyond 'doing a longer safety stop' I don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom