How to plan second dive of the day using a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what do I do to "plan" the dive? Nothing really. Basically we all gear up and off we go watching our computers. I quit logging dives when I reached 500 so I do have a bit of experience and pretty much understand how much air I typically use on a dive. I don't think I have ever seen anyone, myself included, actually take a computer, go to the planning stage before the dive, and run through a program that tells you how much time you will have at 100 ft. Do I really need to know before I jump in how much time I have at 100ft? If I want to know that I just look at my computer when I reach 100ft.

The second dive will be much like the first. You get to the site, get the briefing, and will be told something like, "The max depth on this dive will be 50 ft. and the dive time will be 60 minutes. Watch your computers and be back on board with 500 psi." Again, I have never seen anyone on board take out their computers to see how much time they should get at 50 ft. because in a couple of minutes when you are at 50 ft. you can just look at your computer and see.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not happening. It's not a terribly complicated or time consuming thing to look at my wrist, push a couple buttons, and see what the NDL for our next dive is. I certainly do it, as part of my gearing up process.

It seems to me that it would be much safer to use dive computers right off the bat. They are simpler, not prone to user error, and display much more usable information. Has PADI and the other associations just not implemented it because the technology is just now starting to be priced more affordable?

They still have a lot of tables that need to be sold.:crafty:

You CAN purchase the Puck class from our site.

There are 3 ways to enroll in our classes:
1) Purchasing the class with $
2) Using Bubble Credits
3) Using an Activation Code

See post on our forum:
How do I enroll in - and pay for - an online class?

Okay, so now I've taken the Puck class. Excellent!

Some thoughts/impressions:

1. Keep the girl with the sexy voice.
2. There is absolutely no way a beginning diver could possibly learn how to use his dive computer by just reading the manual that comes with the computer.
3. You really need to change the site regarding enrolling in a class. It's not apparent that you need to get into the class to pay for it. The intuitive approach is to pay for the class, then take it (rather than the other way around). Perhaps a notification on the class listings page.

I also downloaded and ran the dive computer simulator. Is there a video on how to use it? Because I just tried to figure it out by trial and error. But I don't think I did it right.

When you get to the end of your dive on the simulator, how do you log the dive, and do a second dive?

Thanks for this excellent product. I can't imagine using a computer without having taken your class.

2. There is absolutely no way a beginning diver could possibly learn how to use his dive computer by just reading the manual that comes with the computer.

I'm sure most 15 year old could. Swap the age digits around and maybe not so.

I remember my parents struggling to grasp the finer points of VCR programming when I was younger. I laughed at that. Now kids laugh at me trying to work my smartphone... :(

Hi Matt,
thank you for the message.

.....1. Keep the girl with the sexy voice.....
We can only afford her for the first few videos.

......2. There is absolutely no way a beginning diver could possibly learn how to use his dive computer by just reading the manual that comes with the computer......
I don't know about that ..... but we do our best to "explain the manual" :D

......3. You really need to change the site regarding enrolling in a class. It's not apparent that you need to get into the class to pay for it. The intuitive approach is to pay for the class, then take it (rather than the other way around). Perhaps a notification on the class listings page......
We are in the processes of redesigning our websites and will change few things in that area too.

......I also downloaded and ran the dive computer simulator. Is there a video on how to use it? Because I just tried to figure it out by trial and error. But I don't think I did it right.....
Not yet. We are working on it.
So far we have done a tutorial for the iPAd version of divePAL (version 1.4 that is currently being reviewed by Apple); while the Windows and iPad versions of divePAL are not exactly the same, lots of things are quite similar.

......When you get to the end of your dive on the simulator, how do you log the dive, and do a second dive?...
eDiving or divePAL?

......Thanks for this excellent product. I can't imagine using a computer without having taken your class.
Thank You.
Tell your friends about our products.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Okay, so now I've taken the Puck class. Excellent!

Not true really....I learned how to use mine with the manual. Took me about 15 minutes.

EDIT
Oh, and I'm not saying that to shoot you down Matt or to pat myself on the back, I just wanted to share with other new divers that perhaps not everyone would experience the same difficulty in learning from their manual.

Last edited:
I agree with Matt that the DiveNav websites are confusing and frustrating. Some links don't even work and you may lose irritated customers. Perhaps Alberto should get someone pretending to be a naive user to use the sites and provide detailed feedback to fix the problems.

Not entirely true. I learned how to use both my computers (Aeris XR1-NX and Suunto Stinger) by reading the manuals and pushing the button(s).

Try reading the manual while wearing a pocket protector. And put some tape on the bridge of your classes. Let your inner geek out. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom