How to piss off a Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread just gives me many more reasons why I'm glad I never finished my DM cert! So much fun to just enjoy my diving and filming... and the pay is about the same!

OK, want to hear the other side? What would you say/do if a DM put his hand on your valve and turned it (to make sure gas was on presumably) just before entry?

I don't want anyone touching my gear especially seconds before I went in the water. I told the guy, I hope you didn't turn it the wrong way dude. It really pi$$ed me off.

I usually say thank you. They are just trying to help and it may be hard to know what some divers want and don't want. Personally, sometimes the tanks are pretty close together so I may need some help getting my arm through the shoulder webbing or untwisting the strap or taking my fins from me when I return or all the other stuff.

What’s your point? It is simply a given that under those conditions, you’re on your own dude! :wink:
Sure, every one likes a little eye candy once in a while, but there were people trying to gear up, struggling, drysuit zippers needed to be zipped, bodies needed to be steadied while they were putting on fins, etc.
The cute girls got plenty of help of course. There's a time and place for picking up on the clientelle. I think it's a little immature and unproffesional myself to see it on a dive boat.
I really don't care myself, I've been happily married for 27 years, I just think it's a little tacky.

In the end I don't think I ever saw a tip jar so empty.

Sure, every one likes a little eye candy once in a while, but there were people trying to gear up, struggling, drysuit zippers needed to be zipped, bodies needed to be steadied while they were putting on fins, etc.
The cute girls got plenty of help of course. There's a time and place for picking up on the clientelle. I think it's a little immature and unproffesional myself to see it on a dive boat.
I really don't care myself, I've been happily married for 27 years, I just think it's a little tacky.

In the end I don't think I ever saw a tip jar so empty.

Exactly, your pointing out the dichotomy. One hand you have Cocoajoe (nickname: Francis) with the "don't touch my stuff" attitude and on the other hand there are people like me who don't mind a little help (taking my fins, zipping suit….). As for hitting on the cute girls, I don't blame them, I'd do the same. There's not enough money in the tip jar to pass up taking a shot at some cute diver thats probably impressed by the whole Dive Master thing.

If divers were told in class and verified on the exam, that there would be no DMs anywhere, ever, and they were personally responsible for their own enjoyment and safety, divers would be much more competent and would choose and dive their dives much more carefully.

Nope. The classes I've seen do no more than give you a familarity with what you need to study dilligently, practice continually and learn till it's reflex - after you get your card. Classes re way too superficial to ingrain anything.

... There's a time and place for picking up on the clientele. I think it's a little immature and unprofessional myself to see it on a dive boat...

Right on all counts. Unfortunately the reality is it is ALWAYS the time and place to hit on cute girls for most unmarried males under ~25. Lust trumps common sense most of the time.

Thanks for bringing that up though. Note to self: Insert “Middle-aged or older captain” before “EPIRB location” on charter boat check list.

Sort of puts the old “Woman are bad luck at sea” superstition in perspective though. :wink:

Right on all counts. Unfortunately the reality is it is ALWAYS the time and place to hit on cute girls for most unmarried males under ~25. Lust trumps common sense most of the time.

Thanks for bringing that up though. Note to self: Insert “Middle-aged or older captain” before “EPIRB location” on charter boat check list.

Sort of puts the old “Woman are bad luck at sea” superstition in perspective though. :wink:

Way off topic but to give the single DMs reading this a little perspective, Eric and I witnessed a very blatant example of this problem. There were only three paying divers on a boat trip, us and a young woman diving in a bikini. Needless to say she got lots of personal attention but most especially from one particular DM. The other played it pretty cool. Next trip down, the attentive DM no longer works the boat (not saying it is necessarily related) and the "cool" DM is engaged to her...just saying.

I think we may be talking at cross purposes. The whole 'raison d'etre' for a Divemaster/ dive guide is to facilitate the enjoyment of guests who sign up for diving with a Divemaster.

Call me presumptuous however communicating a bit about what dives you have done, what you hope to see, anything you'd rather not etc. is a win-win in my book. However there remain people who believe their tortured-soul eyes to silently communicate their desires of finding nudibranchs.

Personally I dislike the artificial whoop-ya after dives that I have seen before with certain awesome nationalities. What I'm talking about is simple communication- talking. Again, if you don't want to be around people who... talk from time to time, maybe it's best for you to avoid public boats... which may indeed contain people... who talk.

It sounds like some here are 'too cool for school'.

I know of another one...

People on charters far from home that insist they don't want to dive with a DM or guide, then complain like crazy that they didn't find the critters they wanted to photograph. Of course they withhold any tips...

Set aside your ego and dive with the guide, you "oh so experienced" divers and photographers. You may know how to dive, but you don't know where the good stuff hides out. Oh, and don't forget to leave a tip.

:D

Back
Top Bottom