How to open Apeks XL4 second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a related note, why are manufacturers making it increasingly difficult to remove purge covers? Design by lawyer or design by engineers who need to justify their existence?

I look at being able to clear a second stage in the field without tools as an essential feature. I wish all reg covers were like the Aqualung Titan.

I don't think it is intentional. It's probably just a lack of quality control in the current manufacturing process. E.g. early G250ies one only needed the palm of his hand to open or close the cover securely.

On a related note, why are manufacturers making it increasingly difficult to remove purge covers? Design by lawyer or design by engineers who need to justify their existence?

I look at being able to clear a second stage in the field without tools as an essential feature. I wish all reg covers were like the Aqualung Titan.
Totally agree with you with your disgust.
I've been working on regulators from friends of different brands and many require special tools to service. Tools for parts that could have been done simpler to use standard tools.
It seems that brands want only certified technicians with special tools to service the regulators. It's ok if certified technicians were everywhere with accesible prices and fast service times, but that's not the reality. Service shops are in few countries, spares are hard to get, tools are even harder. In a perfect world that politic could work, not in a real world.
It's a trend, not only in the dive industrie, car industrie is the same, home appliances industrie, and many more.
I understand the SP is a great regulator, but why this ?
scubapro-lp-hose.jpg
Scubapro-Tool.png

I don't think it is intentional. It's probably just a lack of quality control in the current manufacturing process. E.g. early G250ies one only needed the palm of his hand to open or close the cover securely.

I am thinking about models like the Legends, with the spring loaded pin (a pain in the ass but at least they only require a pointy object) and all current SPs models (plastic pin that requires a sharp edge) and, most of all, the SP A700 (a torx screwdriver, micro screws and micro orings -- seriously?).

There is no need to replace the plastic pin in a scubapro if you don’t want it there and if someone can’t come up with multiple alternatives to the hose spline wrench maybe they shouldn’t be messing with regulators in the first place.:wink:

I replace them right away with shorter braided hoses. Multi tool is handy for many uses on SP regs but not necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom