How to not Panic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

Develop a procedure for putting your regulator in you mouth - push the purge button every time. Practice putting your hand on your octopus without looking. Find it first time, every time. Trade regulators from primary to secondary without looking. In other words, be as comfortable finding a regulator and putting it in your mouth as you are with finding your mouth with a fork.

AAAANNNNDDDD dive often and enjoy being wet.

You know when I looked back at your post originally I thought you were trying to be funny, which I think makes it inappropriate even though you poke fun at the responders and not the original post.

Harden the heck up! There's nothing funning about life support systems.
No one is poking fun at anyone, my original post suggests that if you want to take extra safety precautions then carry a Bailout bottle.

Best regards,
Chett L

I'm also a fairly new diver, and I have felt very uncomfortable doing many of the standard drills like mask replacement and recovering a lost regulator at one time or another. I second what others have said: Practice, practice, practice. The more I practiced, the more comfortable I became with everything.

Last winter I practiced in a local swimming pool nearly every week. When I hit the ocean the following Spring, I felt an awful lot better about things like having a regulator out of my mouth, so much so that I was able to complete an out-of-air swim as part of a small certification course I took.

I also second removing the regulator on every dive. On my descent I normally switch to the backup, take a few breaths, then switch back to the primary. I'm no expert, so you might want to ask your instructor whether this is a good practice or not. But it certainly gives my confidence that everything is where I expect it to be and everything is working fine.

Clearing the regulator is not the problem!

The problem is that you just need to become more comfortable in the water.

Some people are comfortable in the water right off and some people take a while to reach any level of comfort. I have taught people to dive that couldn’t even put there face in the water at first and then turn out to be great divers.

There is no substitution for experience.

Keep at it!

Harden the heck up! There's nothing funning about life support systems.
No one is poking fun at anyone, my original post suggests that if you want to take extra safety precautions then carry a Bailout bottle.

Best regards,
Chett L

Interesting, then your post has nothing to do with the poster's question and is less aprropriate than what I suggested, I thought your attempt at humour was on topic but as you confess it wasn't humour. pity

Thanks for sharing. This is nothing to be ashamed of. As I recall, surveys of divers indicate over half of them have experienced panic or near-panic underwater at least once in their life.
Excellent advice from all the posters. I agree with using the purge button (put your tongue on the outlet to prevent getting flushed with seawater). Ditto Stop-Breathe-Think-Act. Some research has shown deep breathing (using diaphragm expansion instead of shallow chest inhale-exhale) not only helps you become more comfortable underwater, it can decrease your air consumption (equals longer dives). And when you're breathing comfortably, you'll notice there's a longer pause between exhale and the next inhalation, than between inhale and the next exhalation. The more comfortable you are, the longer this pause can be - you don't have to inhale right after you exhale.
And keep on practicing buddy-breathing drill if you dive frequently. If it is intimidating, start at the surface or near the surface. When you get comfortable do it in low vis or at night.
When I return to diving after a long hiatus, I find that on my first dives, my mind naturally keeps my right hand near my octo and I periodically check (with my right hand, by touch) that my octo is where I think it is (clipped to my D-ring). Should I encounter problems with my primary, I can tug to release and put my octo in my mouth in 2 secs.
If you don't dive frequently, think through the steps in your mind as you are watching TV, or as you wake up. Go through the fine details of each step mentally.
My final advice is to get rescue-certified - you'll learn self-rescue or how to prevent it (prevention is more important than rescue) and it will make you a better diver and boost your confidence.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi,

Well it's not uncommon for people to panic firstly so don't let it worry you ok coz believe it or not the just worrying about panicking could makes things a lot worse, even to trick your mind to panic when actually you may be ok.

I panicked once whilst on a dive ... I mean I really s**t myself ... I could feel it set in before hand, like I could feel the adrenaline rushing through my blood and then the light headiness ... Man it was scary but it was being able to feel what was going that made me able to calm myself down ... relax relax relax I was saying to myself and so I did relax ...

So what I am saying is try to be aware of what your body is telling you and this might just give u a split second to get control of your mind ...

Also don't forget to continue your diver training along with practice and drill excersises. Even now for me with 3000+ professional dives I still don't really like the feeling of water on my face so every now and again I will remove my mask for a few minutes and continue to dive so to make sure I am used to it and in control in the event of my mask being kick off or something ...

Not much here, but I hope you can take something from it. ...

Since the fear of running out of air - even when you still have O2 in your bloodstream - is the principal cause of panic, there is a free-diving tip that is worth knowing provided it is not abused.

Try holding your breath until you think you can't hold it any longer. Then dry-swallow. It kills the reflex and you will be able to last a further period without breathing. This can be repeated.
Just be aware that with this technique it is very easy for even a beginner to put off the need to breathe until he blacks-out.
But in an emergency it's a very useful technique to know and it helps drop the panic level significantly.

They are both situations in which I had no air left to clear the reg and always forget about clearing the reg by pushing the purge. Is there any advice you can give me about better preparing for these situations? Is there anyway to practice this? The thing is I need to practice it with an element of surprise. If I know it's coming I can be more prepared. Would it be out of line or unethical to ask my Instructor to shut my air off in the middle of a training dive or pull my reg out? Sounds evil and insane i know, but it's the only thing I can think of that would be like those situatuions and let me deal with them in the water. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I haven't read the other responses yet so forgive me if I'm repeating.

First of all let's start with this simple truth: everyone has a breaking point. If you don't then there is something wrong with you. The only question is how far up the "threat" scale you have to go to trigger it.

So HAVING a breaking point isn't your problem and in that sense there's nothing to be embarrassed about. The problem you're seeing is when you get the trigger to panic when the situation doesn't warrant it (yet).

To understand that better you have to understand one thing about the nature of panic attacks, namely that your mind can't easily distinguish a "real" threat (you are really about to drown) from a perceived threat (you're not about to drown but you worried that you might). In your mind it's all the same and it triggers exactly the same fight-or-flight reaction in your body. Realistically, however, it's the worry, the fantasy, the "perceived threat" that's the real issue.

And right there you have the first handle on how to look at this. The trick is to learn to consciously and realistically assess the REAL threat to you.

So How?

There are several techniques, but they the most effective ones seem to boil down into two main approaches:

1) get informed. If you're scared of spiders, it will help you to relax if you learn more about them. The same goes here. If you're worried about having the regulator out of your mouth then it's good to know how long you can "hold out". Try it at home on the couch. Take a breath and hold it in and see how long you can do that. Do it with full lungs and with empty lungs and with exhalinging slightly (like making bubbles) the way you would without your regulator in your mouth, do it while walking up and down stairs. That will give you a baseline of *information* that you can use to calm yourself. If, for example, you then get a regulator that floods then you can think to yourself. "OK, xeptra, nothing wrong here. You now have 60 seconds (or 2 min or whatever) to solve this problem". Knowing how long you have will help you keep calm because you will know that there *is no threat* ... yet. Incidentally, on a side-note you can train yourself to extend how long you can do without inhaling by quite a lot. A freediving course might help or just practicing during commerical breaks while watching TV. I'd advise at least a few freediving lessons because they literally teach you how to fight the urge to inhale when CO2 levels are rising in your body.

2) Get exposure. Strangely, one of the best ways to get over a fear of spiders is to hold them in your hand. Likewise, learning how to be calm without the regulator in your mouth will involve.... practicing taking it out of your mouth. Frequent practice of key skills (regulator clearing with and without purge button, regulator R&R, AAS usage and buddy breathing) are all skills involving taking the reg out of your mouth.

Start small. If your issue is spiders then you don't want to start out on day one climbing into a box full of tarantulas. You'd start out by holding one small, harmless, slow moving spider on the palm of your hand.

Likewise with these skills. Frequent exposure will do two things. (a) desensitizes you to the issue of percieved threat levels and (b) gives you a growing base of experience to handle the regulator skills quickly and adequately.

I said start small, but look for the boundaries a bit too (make sure you get a buddy to help keep you safe). For example, try the regulator R&R by thowing it over your shoulder and getting it back right away. When that's comfortable, throw it over your shoulder and count to 5 before starting to look..... then work on pushing that. Try counting to 6...7....10....15... for as long as you know you can. When you do this make sure your buddy is there holding his octopus ready for you incase you need it....

Likewise with other skills. Purging is easily practiced by switching from your primary to your own octopus. Once again start small and build up. Maybe first in the pool and then in deeper and deeper water until you're comfortable doing it at any time at any depth.

Same with AAS. Do it with your buddy (with correct technique) until you're comfortable and then start slowing it down more and more, pausing between steps and moving slothlike and see what level of "slow motion" AAS handovers you can achieve together with your buddy....

get the idea? And never forget. Safety first when you're doing this.

Practice like this for as long and as often as you need to to get the comfort level you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

R..

Hey guys,
Once again thanks for all the great advice! Just wanted to give you guys an update. Every time I've been in the water since then I have practiced switching my reg for my octo and vice versa only using the purge button to clear it. Each time I do this I become more and more comfortable in the water. Yesterday in a pool session while practicing going back and forth I completely lost track of my reg after I had replaced my octo in it's holder. At this point I was out of breath completely and needed air. I calmly knew since I couldn't get my reg which I was after just to grab the Octo and purge, then find my reg. A trivial thing to most people, but I was proud of myself, since this was my initial problem. I will continue to practice switching regs every time I'm in the water. I also practice holding my breath on land to know how long I've got, with air in my lungs and without. I really appreciate everyone who responded, being able to get advice and information like this helps me become a better diver.

Jen :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom