How to minimize danglies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jejton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can someone share a video or photo tutorial of methods to secure SMB/reels, flashlights, etc to a BP/W or BCD setup in a way that doesnt leave them all hanging? I can only fit so much in my one pocket but I find that if I am carrying the dive flag, and my camera, the lines tend to get tangled with each other or the flashlights get in the way. Currently I have my camera on a Snappy Coil Caribener type rig, with the caribiner connected to a D-ring on my right side. The light on a retractor connected to a D-ring on my left side and my DSMB/reel on a boltsnap fastened to a D-ring in my harness pocket to keep it from getting tangled. I'd like to clean the trim up a bit to minimize tangles and dangles.

Thanks. Thats what I was looking for! Now, what is a good solution for keeping the light tethered while I am using it so I dont accidentally drop it?

Thanks. Thats what I was looking for! Now, what is a good solution for keeping the light tethered while I am using it so I dont accidentally drop it?

Use the thumb loops that alot of wetsuits have to attach your torch's bolt snap.

All things of this line of questioning is entirely “missions dependent”, meaning- what is your projected frequency of use, your specific need and use for any given tool?

For some uses, I’ve mounted flashlights on hockey helmets- now they have neoprene head band mount systems. Or, full circle, very pricey caving helmets.

A clever neoprene glove-like hand mount, or a chunk of aluminum bent into a hand-loop with a fancy name and price tag?

A coily cord Trident in day-glo yellow- or also from Trident, a retracto-matic spring loaded janitor’s keychain thingie?

For every intended use, there is an option.

I carry a 4xC LED with a wrist lanyard because I’m constantly nosing under dark ledges on daylight dives.

I sometimes death-clip it to a shoulder d-ring and then stuff it under that shoulder strap.

No one answer.

Hair band or bungee on your wrist.
  1. Free the light from the elastic band
  2. Turn the light on (helpful if you drop it)
  3. Unclip the boltsnap from the chest D-ring and re-clip to your wristband. (Use the hand without the band to work the snap. :wink:)
For a quick look-see, I stop after Step 2.

For dedicated night dive, I use a soft Goodman handle. Light goes on before I'm wet. (Edit: I use the Oxycheq @tbone1004 mentioned below. Secure, but easy/quick to switch hands when needed.)

Bolt snap of course to the left chest D-Ring.:)

What light is it? Use a goodman glove/handle. The Oxycheq one is the best one I have found, available from Cave Adventurers

Back
Top Bottom