How to minimize danglies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone share a video or photo tutorial of methods to secure SMB/reels, flashlights, etc to a BP/W or BCD setup in a way that doesnt leave them all hanging? I can only fit so much in my one pocket but I find that if I am carrying the dive flag, and my camera, the lines tend to get tangled with each other or the flashlights get in the way. Currently I have my camera on a Snappy Coil Caribener type rig, with the caribiner connected to a D-ring on my right side. The light on a retractor connected to a D-ring on my left side and my DSMB/reel on a boltsnap fastened to a D-ring in my harness pocket to keep it from getting tangled. I'd like to clean the trim up a bit to minimize tangles and dangles.
As you are in south Florida, are you open to going into Aqui Water Sports and chatting with @LandonL or Ryan @custureri?

For a basic shallow rec dive I wouldn’t bother with the octo, smb, torch, reel, compass, or computer. No dangly bits.

The best answer is no answer. You really need to reassess your need for gear choices for each particular dive. The Christmas tree look is not functional or appropriate. If it’s not in your hand, it’s clipped off and secured.
It’s always entertaining in cave country to watch new cave students on their first pre dive class. It’s called the “trash can dive”. The instructor has new students set up their gear without saying a word. Then comes the trash can to deposit all the unnecessary gear.

You mention a camera. You could put the light on the camera or double duty the focus light(s). And have a small back up light with bolt snap on the right D-ring beneath bicycle tube bands to keep it from dangling. Most strobes have lights, my Inons have 240 lumen focus lights that make a dandy backups when needed. Plus I just bought one of these to go on top of my Nautican NA-6400:

How much more light is needed for a day, open water dive or even a night dive?

The dsmb/sausage, I put the spool in an XS pouch low on the right shoulder strap by the plate and the sausage is fixed to the spool and hangs out but is tucked way back. If it is a large sausage I secure it to a bungee on the right side of my plate. The knife when carried is on left waist strap, line cutter on left shoulder strap:

The octopus or secondary goes on a necklace, not stuffed in a freaking D ring!

All that other stuff, I do not carry really. Computers and watch on left arm, compass on the right arm. What else is there? Okay, if solo and to satisfy some operators I carry all that solo spare kit in a pocket affixed to the lower cam band including things like extra mask, signal mirrors, smoke grenades, shark bazooka and a future Garmin.

Just gonna say it, that video link from earlier is quite the CF, YOMV.

James

Shows using a boltsnap on chest D-ring (very secure) with an elastic band on the lower shoulder/harness strap (no dangling). I use a half-inch section of mountain bike inner tube.
Thats what I was looking for! Now, what is a good solution for keeping the light tethered while I am using it so I dont accidentally drop it?
Putting a loop of bungee cord on the wrist solves that problem:
IMG_20211124_162143.jpg

Great when using it where dropping it would be a problem, but it can easily be secured back on the chest ring if not needed. I do the above for daytime recreational dives. Main advantage: cheap!

Alternatively, more money gets you a nicer solution (the above mentioned Oxycheq light sock or soft Goodman handle):
IMG_20211124_163944.jpg

I use this when the light will be on most of the dive (e.g., a night dive). My backup light also has a boltsnap (see first pic) and is stored in a pocket if I have them (drysuit) or on the shoulder strap (chest D-ring) if I don't (wetsuit). This light can be moved to a D-ring or pocket as desired. (I don't normally bother with the built-in bungee stabilizer around the wrist so that it's easier to switch hands.)

Hope that makes things more clear.

You mention a camera. You could put the light on the camera or double duty the focus light(s). And have a small back up light with bolt snap on the right D-ring beneath bicycle tube bands to keep it from dangling. Most strobes have lights, my Inons have 240 lumen focus lights that make a dandy backups when needed. Plus I just bought one of these to go on top of my Nautican NA-6400:

How much more light is needed for a day, open water dive or even a night dive?

The dsmb/sausage, I put the spool in an XS pouch low on the right shoulder strap by the plate and the sausage is fixed to the spool and hangs out but is tucked way back. If it is a large sausage I secure it to a bungee on the right side of my plate. The knife when carried is on left waist strap, line cutter on left shoulder strap:

The octopus or secondary goes on a necklace, not stuffed in a freaking D ring!

All that other stuff, I do not carry really. Computers and watch on left arm, compass on the right arm. What else is there? Okay, if solo and to satisfy some operators I carry all that solo spare kit in a pocket affixed to the lower cam band including things like extra mask, signal mirrors, smoke grenades, shark bazooka and a future Garmin.

Just gonna say it, that video link from earlier is quite the CF, YOMV.

James
I like that y splitter on the inflator hose for the SMB. Very clever and I may borrow it for myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom