How to lube uw housing 0-ring for my A620

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talon

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay... I'm chicken :wink:

I got a Canon A620 and matching Canon underwater housing for Christmas. Heading out to go diving in a week or two and am trying to figure out how to apply the lube to the o-ring. I've read the instructions and I "think' I have a pretty good idea (basically, don't use too much). But what I can't figure out is how to get the o-ring OFF the housing so I can apply it. Only way I see to do it is to take a flat head screw driver and wedge it under the o-ring and stretch it out so I can grab it. NOW THAT JUST DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Don't use any sharp or hard objects!! I use the corner of a credit card. You work it under a convenient spot and pull the O-ring out. I like the long edge of the housing. Stretching it is no problem as long as you keep it reasonable, if it does not stretch like a rubber band, it's bad anyway. After you get it removed, clean the ring grove and inspect it for dirt. I use a small magnifying glass for a better view. The Oring needs to be cleaned with a lint free cloth. The purpose of the grease is to lubricate the O-ring. I put a small bit of silicone on my thumb and forefinger and slowly pull the O-ring through my fingers. You can tell when you get enough on the O-ring as it will slide easily through your fingers. Then replace the O-ring with your fingers, again you will have to stretch it a little. As a final check I recheck the entire O-ring and any mating surfaces with the magnifying glass to ensure there is nothing that will interfere with the seal. A single grain of sand or a hair is all that it takes to flood a camera.

A couple of other thoughts.
I would suggest you either have the housing pressure tested or at least take the housing on a dive without the camera in it before taking the camera along. This way you can find possible bad seals without flooding the camera. If you take it on a camera-less dive, you need to add some weight to offset the buoyancy of the housing.
I never open the housing on the beach or on a dive boat unless it's absolutely necessary. I put my camera in the housing in my room and don't remove it until I am back in the room AND it has been soaked in warm fresh water for several minutes. Letting salt water dry on the housing is not a good idea at all. The dry salt crystals can cut the shaft O-rings. There is just too much chance I could miss a grain of sand or hair on the O-ring when on a beach or boat.

herman:
A couple of other thoughts.
I would suggest you either have the housing pressure tested or at least take the housing on a dive without the camera in it before taking the camera along. This way you can find possible bad seals without flooding the camera. If you take it on a camera-less dive, you need to add some weight to offset the buoyancy of the housing.
I never open the housing on the beach or on a dive boat unless it's absolutely necessary. I put my camera in the housing in my room and don't remove it until I am back in the room AND it has been soaked in warm fresh water for several minutes. Letting salt water dry on the housing is not a good idea at all. The dry salt crystals can cut the shaft O-rings. There is just too much chance I could miss a grain of sand or hair on the O-ring when on a beach or boat.

The manual says to hold the housing underwater for 3 minutes at a depth of 15 cm. to check for leaks. I took mine to a swiming pool and kept it for 5 minutes at 8 feet. It did not leak so I assume is ready for action.

Sounds like Santa was good to you guys!!

- I never take an empty housing down to test for leaks, I might miss something! Very carefully check all seals and you should be good to go. Empty housing tests may show you a manufacturer defect, but these are, thankfully, pretty uncommon really. User error is the number one cause of a flood and doing an empty housing test, IMHO, is just one time closer :wink: Do whatever makes YOU comfortable.

- to remove the oring, gently squeeze it with your thumb and finger from opposite edges. this makes it pook out a little so you can hold it gently and kind of roll it out of the groove. It is important never to stretch the oring as you'll simply shorten its lifespan. A spare is a must on holiday - contact Canon directly for spares.

- I only lube/remove my oring when it needs it. It will look/feel a little dry or less shiny or I may see a little something on it. There should never be globs of lube or anything else showing on the oring and it should feel smooth. Don't forget to check the groove on the housing, too. I use those sponge tipped makeup applicators to clean the groove out - no lint, cheap, easy to pack and available almost anywhere.

Good luck and have a great time! Can't wait to see your shots!

Can the spare o-rings be bought off the internet anywhere? I hope I don't need one for a while considering my housing hasn't been in the water yet but its nice to have a back-up.

Miranda

I'd go to Canon - maybe they have a web site but I don't know. I'm sure if you knew the part number you could find them off the net later, but it seems people have problems finding the right part number.

Canon here sent me a whole diagram of my housing with all part numbers. Piece of cake and great reference. Orings were comparable in price to others I bought.

Talon,

I took my housing underwater for the first time yesterday.
Like you I was racked by uncertainty and the 'what if' factor, faithfully cleaned the o-ring, almost went near sighted looking at it.
Re cleaned it 3 times until there was not even a strand of lint or hair on it.
Greased it, added a small amount (less than pea sized) amount of silicon to my finger and spread it over the o-ring.

Housing worked flawlessly :). A610 with WP-DC90 housing.

Jamdiver:
Talon,

I took my housing underwater for the first time yesterday.
Like you I was racked by uncertainty and the 'what if' factor, faithfully cleaned the o-ring, almost went near sighted looking at it.
Re cleaned it 3 times until there was not even a strand of lint or hair on it.
Greased it, added a small amount (less than pea sized) amount of silicon to my finger and spread it over the o-ring.

Housing worked flawlessly :). A610 with WP-DC90 housing.

Finally. Now post some pics. I loved your topside pics and am looking forward to your UW ones.

Back
Top Bottom