How to kick effectively?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And flutter kicking. You can do the shuffle flutter close, but I find that's harder to teach than the frog.

I found that five minutes sitting on the back of the van, side by side, with my student matching my leg/ankle/foot motions reduces the learning curve significantly. I start with them imitating only one foot (feather, twist, thrust), then the other and then together. I sometimes demonstrate the scooping concept with my hands as well, mimicking how the leg is supposed to move so they can visualize it. I also try to get them to visualize the power of the frog kick going through the bottoms of their toes. I only have a very few students who can't catch on and that's usually due to equipment issues.

It is posts like this that make me want to stop by Florida on my way to the UAE to train with @RainPilot in order to take your trim and buoyancy class.

Diver0001 is right. Kick from the hip and keep your hands quiet. Your hands are the biggest obstacle for new divers. Try folding your arms. It will force you to do the following: you will learn how to propel yourself with finning (from the hip) and you will be forced to learn buoyancy control with your breathing (instead of your hands).

Diver0001 is right. Kick from the hip and keep your hands quiet. Your hands are the biggest obstacle for new divers. Try folding your arms. It will force you to do the following: you will learn how to propel yourself with finning (from the hip) and you will be forced to learn buoyancy control with your breathing (instead of your hands).
Yeah for sure. I saw a number of hand waivers when I was assisting OW, as well as my first (and only) steady buddy when we both started out. Use of hands for specific reasons comes after getting your buoyancy and proper kick strokes down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom