How to kick effectively?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saite

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,
I'm a new diver. I just wondering could someone tell me how to kick.
Some of my buddies told me to do frog kick, but my fin is a split fin. So it seems I should not do frog kick.
Is there any videos that I can learn it?

My fin is Atomic Split fin.

And buy new fins. Doing back kicks and helicopter turns are next to impossible with split fins. I won't accept AOW students with split fins

Last edited:
Welcome! Here's an article with accompanying video on the basic kick techniques & when to use them. Later on, you'll want to learn some advanced techniques as well, but the basics are a great way to start & I applaud you for reaching out for help.

I use split fins. I love them & have become dependent upon them. (Side note: I have a different split fin than you do, but my preferred kick is the frog kick when possible.) However, split fins aren't good fins & I'm working towards switching them. Split fins lack power & precision which you may not notice right away, but you soon will. They also prevent you from doing certain kicks. Better for you to switch now before you get used to them & have the trouble I am.

Happy diving!

Hi everyone,
I'm a new diver. I just wondering could someone tell me how to kick.
Some of my buddies told me to do frog kick, but my fin is a split fin. So it seems I should not do frog kick.
Is there any videos that I can learn it?

My fin is Atomic Split fin.

You should be able to frog kick in those but it will probably be easier initially to use a flutter kick.

The main things you need to keep in mind are

- kick fairly slowly. Let yourself glide through the water as you go.

- make the kicks from the hip. You don't need to keep the leg stiff but avoid pulling your knee up towards your hip. If you do then you will be "bicycle" kicking and you probably won't get anywhere. Keep those knees behind you.

- try to learn the habit of manoeuvring with your feet and avoid "sculling" with the hands. That will help your finning AND it will help you be more balanced at "at rest" while you are swimming.

I wouldn't personally focus too much on online videos regarding kicking. There is a lot of ego invested in some of those videos. In my opinion you will be better off asking buddies for feedback as you are diving. Watching people doing it perfectly will help you see the "spot on the horizon" that you should be working toward but the instructional value of most of the videos I've seen is pretty limited.

R..

...I wouldn't personally focus too much on online videos regarding kicking. There is a lot of ego invested in some of those videos. In my opinion you will be better off asking buddies for feedback as you are diving. Watching people doing it perfectly will help you see the "spot on the horizon" that you should be working toward but the instructional value of most of the videos I've seen is pretty limited.

Nothing beats an instructor or experienced dive buddy for help, but videos can help you get an idea of how the kicks generally work.

Last edited:
My flutter kick stunk. I've found that doing laps in the pool in snorkeling gear is fab for working on your flutter. As my instructors said, point your toes and squeeze your butt cheeks. Plus, it's excellent exercise to build up leg strength for diving, in addition to cardio.

Practicing frog kick is not easy when swimming laps as you're not fully underwater.

I had a set of Atomic Splits before I went to my DiveRites. You can do all the kicks in splits - it just won't be as efficient. Helicopter turns and frog kick are pretty easy but trying to backfin is mostly an exercise in futility (and why I went to the XTs). If you have a friend with a GoPro, have them video you - you'll learn a lot about your positioning and what is actually happening. Trim and Buoyancy - every dive! after that everything else will be much easier

Split fins have their place -from reading on forums a lot of people who use them mainly do so because of leg injuries or cramping easily which they can alleviate.

For transfer of power, they are not as efficient as a solid fin and manoeuvrability will suffer.

As @snowdog61 suggests a friend with an underwater video will help you understand what you are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom