How to keep the non-diver wife happy while I’m diving…???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beir

Contributor
Reaction score
I love to dive, my wife well, doesn’t. She will snorkel and such, but that just won’t cut it for me. I like to plan vacations to destinations were I can get some diving in, but then she’s alone and bored.

One option is to bring another couple along and hope that the guy dives and the lady friend doesn’t, so the two ladies can do their own thing. The problem with this is the logistics of it all. Trying to find a couple that we like enough to go on vacation with and has a diver in my situation…..and can go on vacation when and were we want can be quite difficult.

Just wondering how you guys handle it. If anyone has a solution do tell, but I think I already know there isn’t one; at least not a good one.

My wife does not dive either, she does snorkle and swim but is not into going SCUBA (yet) I cant wait to see what comes from this thread.

My wife does not dive either. When we go on vacation she snorkels a bit and did try to the resort scuba course but did not like all the gear. So, no diving for her. I'm very interested in this thread, not only for vacations but for local stuff too. I hate leaving her behind while I go diving for the weekend, but she won't go because "there is nothing to do."

S P A

Look for places that may have SPA treatments. You go for a dive, she goes for a massage, you go for a dive, she goes for a facial, you go for a dive, she goes for a pedicure.....

Or maybe the place you go to will have classes in the local culture, crafts or language lessons.

Hmmmm.... maybe next dive trip I'll take a day off diving...
nah, probably not, but its a thought.

SP

I'm a driller/blaster, and I work 4 hours north of my home, so I do camp shifts, so the secret is, when I get my time off, I tell the ol lady I had to work a few extra days, and I go diving, just so happens my boats r up north near where I work, works like a charm :wink:, hope this helps... hehe

Shopping spree with a "NO HOLDS BARED" attitude, tell her to enjoy herself and let her spend the same amount you did on you dive,tip,air,equipment, ect. I like the spa idea too... You'll have to make it fun for her to. Of course you "could" always try to lure her into scuba by showing her all the exotic places the two of you could visit and dive together at (thats what my husband did, I think it might have worked to well.. We we're just sitting around checking out log books and such and counted in just the last "almost" 4 months I've done 53 dives )
***more than him...hehehehehehe*** Hey, but at least he's got a dive buddy!

Best wishes

Hook her up with one of the pool boys. Worked for me and mine a couple of years ago. I dived all day and when I got home she was happy as could be, never bothered me once the entire trip. :wink:

Thank God I have a SO (25 yrs together) who is a very independent woman. She knows how I love to dive, and even tried a dive in 1983 (resort course). That one dive was enough for her.
She also knows that I am a WWW, and don't dive around home.
What we do is pick locations that have good diving, and good things for her to do while I dive.(e.g. shop, sightsee, hang at the pool,beach-while in a safe environment)
Places like Bermuda, Grand Cxayman, Aruba, New Providence, Cozumel-although her digestive system can't handle a return trip {she tells me to go without her}
We also make sure to be together for dinner, and at least one day is spent sightseeing, hanging out together, etc.{usually the last full day's afternoon while I "outgass" for 24 hrs prior to flying.}
Also, a nice "thank you" souvenier(sp?) helps.
good luck,
Mike

*Scuba*Princess*:
S P A

Look for places that may have SPA treatments. You go for a dive, she goes for a massage, you go for a dive, she goes for a facial, you go for a dive, she goes for a pedicure.....

SP
How in the heck are you going to recognize her when you get done diving for the day? :wink:

Joe

How independant minded the lady is is important. I am about to be certified but my husband can't dive for medical reasons. But he loves to fish and I don't like the places he fishes. He goes his way and I go mine for about half a day then spend the rest of the day together. Until now, I would take sight seeing tours, go shopping, or generally just driving around looking at the area while hubby fished. Ask her what she would like to do and encourage her to do it.

Judy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom