How To Keep Nails Nice While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eckybay

Princess of Dorkness
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've just recently got certified earlier this summer and have noticed that between the OW check out dives and the quarry dives I've been doing on the weekends, that my finger nails have been peeling and splitting on the ends from being exposed to the water for so long at a time. Any advice on how to strengthening my nails so they're not as prone to this, or should of give up on having nice looking nails until winter?

this is a subject i know nothing about...

... so of course i'm going to post

have you tried covering them with some waterproof substance, like acrylic?

I noticed this post because of the new posts link (not because I was scouring women's issues).

Maybe you could try wearing latex gloves. Sounds silly but it would keep water out to an extent especially if you wore them under regular dive gloves...better than nothing. Just a thought...

I'd try some of those concoctions that are supposed to strengthen and prevent splitting. The gloves sound like a good idea too. I haven't had the splitting/peeling problem, but it is pain to try to keep them painted so I pretty much gave that up.

I was thinking that some sort of gloves would probably help - atleast less of a chance of chipping them on equipment and what not. I got a good nail/hand lotion to see if that helps any. If not, oh well. I like diving more than I like having decent nails.

bite them off and feed them to the sunfish.... win~win situation! sollie - i couldn't help myself

I keep mine clipped down during active scuba seasons for me and let them grow out in between....

You can try "NO More wraps" found on ULTA.com...I have found my nails are a bit strong during dive seasons when I use this first.

I too clip my down during scuba activity and put a clear top coat to help with the chipping. I don't have any use for long nails anyway so it's not really an issue for me.

i have to keep my nails perfect for work, sigh, so i have tried lots of things.. The only solution i have found was to have a thin layer of gel applied at a nail salon over your natural nail. It needs to be redone about every 3 weeks, but if u need to have your hands looking nice it works perfectly :)

Back
Top Bottom