How To Keep My Mouth Moist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find that a comfo-bite mouthpiece tends to produce more saliva and you just swallow it. After switching to it from a regular mouthpiece, no more problem with dry mouth!

Well guys thanks for all the replies. I don't dive enough to be purchasing my own gear, although I would like to. I think I can deal with my mouth being dry for one tank but two is when I start to struggle.

Yes I can probably drink some water in between but I'm not sure if that helps (don't remember how much of a break I took in between before)

As I mentioned I am not comfortable yet with taking out the regulator under water, although I should practice it. I think once I swallow some salt water, I am done and pukingwill follow shortly after.

Of all the advice so far I think I will give the hard candy ago and see.

Can't wait to dive again!

I'm a beginner diver , 40 odd dives , wanted to make sure I was not doing anything wrong . Whether in salt water or freshwater if I get a dry mouth I take my reg out , take a little bit of water in and then rinse and spit it out and then replace the second stage .
Is this the wrong thing to do or dangerous ?

Nothing wrong with that if you are comfortable with it. Or if you are in a polluted area that might be bad.

Why? Don't you rinse your regs after use?

Yes, I've cleaned up enough Coke spills to not trust the normal reg rinse and even soak to get it ALL out of the inside. If I were opening it up and scrubbing in there, that would be a little different, but I'm not.

As I mentioned I am not comfortable yet with taking out the regulator under water, although I should practice it. I think once I swallow some salt water, I am done and pukingwill follow shortly after.
Yes, practice taking the reg out. It is a mandatory skill. Like clearing your mask.

You are talking yourself into puking if you get some saltwater in your mouth! Stop that! It is no worse than a salt-water gargle for a sore throat.

I find that a comfo-bite mouthpiece tends to produce more saliva and you just swallow it. After switching to it from a regular mouthpiece, no more problem with dry mouth!
I've used this custom fit type mouthpiece for years now--almost from the get go. Maybe that's why I don't get dry mouth? Rinsing with salt water may work as some suggest--but it may make you thirsty?

I use two Mares Abyss all-metal regulators and I have never ever got a dry mouth when diving, even on dives around 70 minutes long.
Maybe you should try some of those regs....

Same here.

I rented atomic z2s, titan lx, sherwood, scuba pro and abyss22... the only one that didn't give me dry mouth was the abyss 22, so that's what I bought.

With the others if it started happening I'd just work some saliva up in my mouth to swish around to help some though.

Yes, practice taking the reg out. It is a mandatory skill. Like clearing your mask.

You are talking yourself into puking if you get some saltwater in your mouth! Stop that! It is no worse than a salt-water gargle for a sore throat.

Actually it is from past experience. After I finished diving and was on top of the surface floating waiting to get back on the boat, as I was tired from the dive, swallowed some salt water and out came food for the fishes.

when I dive for more than 30 minutes, my mouth becomes dry which makes me uncomfortable and eventually leads to puking. . . . I don't think I can take out my receptor and take in some sea which and blow it out after. Any advice?

I probably breath in the air pretty fast which doesn't help but it is a learning process.

You do have a dilemma. I can't tell from your comment if it is a matter of just not wanting to take your regulator out of your mouth at all while underwater, or not being able to take in / spit out seawater afterward. If the former, your options are more limited. If the latter, I usually don't find rinsing my mouth with seawater is particularly helpful - although I will do that from time to time - because I end up being more 'thirsty' / have an even drier mouth afterward. In any event, if you do use a u/w mouth rinse with sea water, definitely don't swallow. I don't find that rinsing my mouth with it causes a problem, but swallowing it can certainly cause emesis.

As several have noted, work on increasing your comfort with removing and replacing your second stage underwater. That is an essential / core skill which should become second nature. Once that skill is mastered you have several hydration options during a dive. For example:

1. Deep Sea Supply markets a small (14oz) hydration bladder (DeepSeaSupply - Product Detail). Although it is designed and marketed specifically for use with back-mount doubles, it can fairly easily be adapted for other use (e.g. simply putting it in the pocket of a BCD, and pulling out the tube whenever you want a drink).

2. Some divers even carry a MSR or Camelbak (http://shop.camelbak.com/tahoe-lr-/d/1317_cl_4671)` hydration bladder, with a bite mouthpiece, during dives. I think these are a bit bulky (even the 'smallest' MSR Hydronedary is 2 liters), but they can be used underwater.

3. Some divers like to use drinks such as Capri Sun (http://www.caprisun.com/), with small straws. You can also get some small children's juice / liquid containers with 'closeable' caps, and refill them with water.

I suspect one of the reasons that the Deep Sea Supply product was developed for doubles is that it is more likely for dry mouth to become a problem on longer dives. But, there are times during even a 50-60 minute recreational dive that I notice my mouth becomes dry. Usually, I find this to reflect either my overall state of hydration, or my diet immediately before the dive.

I have not personally observed that the particular mouthpiece I am using makes a noticeable difference in the likelihood of developing dry mouth. But, I now use only Apeks Comfo-Bite mouthpieces, and at least one poster suggest that this mouthpiece is less likely to produce the problem. If you don't own your own equipment, mouthpiece selection is for the most part a moot point, although some diver's do carry their 'personal' mouthpiece, and some tie-wraps with them, and swap out the mouthpiece on rental equipment before the dive, then replace the original mouthpiece before returning the rental unit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom