How To Keep My Mouth Moist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use chewing gum to combat dry mouth. I got used to doing it while diving a guardian full face mask at work and just transferred the habit when I dive regular scuba. I chew the gum before the dive and just hold it between my jaw teeth during the dive. When my mouth gets really dry, I take out my regulator, chew the gum, swallow the moisture/saliva created and then put my reg back in. I do not chew gum on my rebreather as there is no need. I have done it on hundreds of dives with no issues (except a lack of dry mouth:)).

one time... I tried to let water past my reg to let the water moisturise my mouth... forgot I was in the ocean. Lesson learned, quite quickly.

And has anybody here ever vomited while underwater? that would scare the **** out of me!

one time... I tried to let water past my reg to let the water moisturise my mouth... forgot I was in the ocean. Lesson learned, quite quickly.

And has anybody here ever vomited while underwater? that would scare the **** out of me!

Everyone always says you can vomit through your reg. I've gotten really close--twice--and haven't tested it out yet. I'm hoping to keep it that way. Sorry, DBs, no fish shows.

I just get a little saliva going and rub my tongue around my mouth. I have to be careful that I don't get too excited about the saliva thing because if I have to swallow, I tend to swallow a lot of air and then the ascent to the surface becomes unpleasant if I'm not able to burp right.

I have friends who use the bio filter thing. They like it.

I sometimes just rub my tongue around. If it's fresh, I just rinse my mouth with the water.

I've read somewhere (probably on SB) that some people drink water or something else (beer, I think, but obviously don't recommend that) while diving by working the bottle's cap so very little sea water enters. Haven't read it mentioned in this thread. I don't do it because I don't notice dry mouth. But I do take a good swig of water prior to the dive. Puking: I have simulated this with reg out of my mouth. Leaving reg in is the general consensus as you may take in water unintentionally after feeding the fish.

I've heard some people say they don't get as bad dry mouth when diving with Nitrox, versus Air.

Personally, I would never do this when breathing my own regulators. I would absolutely not want moisture that contains sugary water/saliva getting into my 2nd stage reg. That seems to be just begging for trouble.

I guess if you're using a rental reg, though, maybe you don't care what you do to it.
Why? Don't you rinse your regs after use?

I use two Mares Abyss all-metal regulators and I have never ever got a dry mouth when diving, even on dives around 70 minutes long.
Maybe you should try some of those regs....

Yes, I have. It is quite doable. You definitely want to keep your reg in your mouth. If it plugs up, switch to your alternate to breath, and swish the clogged one around in the water while purging it to clear it out. Not pleasant, not recommended, but you can do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom