How to get more dives in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom R

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I receive a lot of calls, emails, conversations, etc; on how can I dive as much as you and your friends do so I will try to answer your questions here.

It wasn’t always that way, I used to hang out at the LDS and wait for dives to happen, it kind of backfired; I ended up with the LDS. I then hung around the local legends that all had a cache of secret wrecks and dives, that didn’t work either; most of them forgot or could not find the sites again. Next I joined the local club, lots of talk of diving, planning diving, listening to people that went diving, and even store owners promising diving, still no diving.

After we purchased the LDS we sat down and tried to learn from the past, we started a club and set a time for diving, basically during the off season we pick a shore dive and go at a certain time. When the boats are in the water pick a date, discount the dive, discount the rental and pick a wreck; those that come get to go diving, if the night they pick is not good for you get several buddies together and ask for an additional night (if you don’t ask, you’ll never know).

So the only way to get more diving is for you to get proactive, call the LDS find out when and where there is activity happening, join some of the local organizations there are more and more clubs in Ontario, if you don’t want to be in a club that is associated with a LDS then start your own, the Niagara Free float divers did it this year. Organizations like SOS/POW are always looking for volunteers.

Let me share my thoughts.

As a fresh-faced eager newbie I of course was raring to get out and DIVE.

My first hurdle was that I received my C Card......... in November (2003).

A vast majority of even seasoned divers hang up the diving suits over winter!

Not to be deterred, I started hanging out at the LDS. Not that there was much going on over winter there, but I did get to meet a few like-minded divers and trade contact numbers. A few of them, I've actually gone out diving with - a few of them, I never did meet up with again.

I joined a local "dive club" that, as Tom suggests, had lots of great ideas but few actual activities. They did offer pool "skills" dives but not with any great frequency.

Then I found Scubaboard......... I must say, not that I'm kissing-up or anything, but I have to admit that just posting my sometimes-whiny dive invites to Scubaboard has had the single most direct effect on my ability to go out and actually dive.

As a newbie I liked to know in advance (sometimes by a week or two!) when where and with whom I'd be diving. This level of anal-ness is, to most divers, truly scary. (and it's worn off now) Well after making a few contacts, getting out for a few dives, sometimes I began receiving last-minute dive invites. The more I got out to dive, the more contacts I ended up with. Sure I've met a fair number of people with whom I'd rather not dive again, but just to get out and dive was the important thing, as long as it was done safely.

Then along came spring/summer and the advent of warmer weather. Now hardly a day, and ceratinly not a week, goes by without someone somewhere planning a dive that all I need to do is express an interest in, and I'm included. Most divers don't mind picking up another buddy along the way and voila, you have another future dive buddy too.

A starategy that has also worked well for me is to find out when the LDS runs regularly scheduled dives, whether they're charters or Club-organized shore dives. Then just turn up, gear in hand, and join in. Another great way to make those contacts and get out and dive. My addiction has progressed to the point that I now just turn up on a weekend at the LDS with gear and jump on a boat.

Bottom line - it's tough to build up that momentum, but bit by bit it happens and before you know it you'll be "taking rainchecks" on dives because you can't schedule them all in! :rofl:

Best way to get diving is..............
DIVE DIVE DIVE
Dive safe, dive often

everybody who asks how i can dive so much? I ask how come they dive so little. They usually respond with my weekends are always crazy.
my answer is don't limit your diving to the weekends..
Find some buddies who want to dive more and make it a set thing like softball practice or your tae bo class and you'll end up diving more without even realizing it.

All of these are mighty fine suggestions. Unfortunately for me, I haven't been in the water once yet this year. It seems that my buddies are busy, I'm busy, the dive gets scrubbed due to an ear infection, and so on and so on. I'm miserable; tonights planned dive just got scrubbed. I'm thinking I should either sell my gear or get my 11 year old certified. This year really sucks.

weight_for_me:
All of these are mighty fine suggestions. Unfortunately for me, I haven't been in the water once yet this year. It seems that my buddies are busy, I'm busy, the dive gets scrubbed due to an ear infection, and so on and so on. I'm miserable; tonights planned dive just got scrubbed. I'm thinking I should either sell my gear or get my 11 year old certified. This year really sucks.
You may have to make the effort to look outside your immediate area to go diving.

Touch base with a shop or take a charter - you can show up to those things without a buddy already in tow and get paired up with someone in a similar situation. Chances are, you'll make a few friends and may end up with more buddies on your list. Chances are, at least one of them wil be willing to head out on short notice.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom