How to get hose protectors on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm an idiot. I got my computers from LeisurePro yesterday. I went to my LDS to get hose protectors.

Now I got it Half-way on, but can't budge it any further. Anybody got any tips?

Why did I not just have my LDS do it? Well, they are the ones that were going to charge me $140 to screw my octo and computer into the first stage.

Any tips??

Like roakey said - boil them to soften them up so they stretch a bit. But you don't need those fancy tools. Just make sure you wear gloves as they do tend to be a little warm out of the boiling water.

Marc :jester:

I managed to install mine without the tool just using hot water on the protector. But if it is stressing the hose too much, you could be doing more harm than good.

If I had to do it again, I would probably buy the installation tool. Unless you also need the 1st stage tool, you can get the same extension for the installation tool by using standard bolts. But don't use the standard bolts in the first stage as the steel bolt may damage the brass 1st.

Thanks all!

I ended up cutting the one off that I had stuck on - I hope I didn't do any damage trying to push it on:(

I called another dive shop, and they include it in the price of the hose protector ($3.00).

Why do I have this bad feeling my current dive shop is always trying to rip me off? I called them to see exactly how much it would cost to have them put on... one 6pack each. So $3 for the protector, $5 for the 6 pack - a total of $16 to put 2 hose protectors on. The other shop? $6.

Now who wants my business? Certainly not the one that is always trying to rip me off.:D

Go figure - I actually trusted these guys at one point in time.

It pays off in the long run... Although I buy a lot of stuff online, I always go to the same dive shop and will continue to do so because of the relationship we have built. They let me use their tools to do stuff like that at no charge. Shoot, they let me bring in 2 tanks, a manifold, and bands and let me setup a set of doubles using their Christolube and tools for free...and Christolube ain't cheap!

I will not go anywhere else even if something is cheaper at another shop in town.

Try a little dishwashing soap. Always works for me.

I’ve used silicone grease, but DW soap would work well too.

As for the tools, hey, I’m a guy. The Y chromosome makes me latch onto any excuse to buy new tools. I just received the Genesis inflator tools from Peterbuilt. Fits the Halcyon inflators perfectly!

Roak

I had to put them on over the techflex/3x shrinking shrinkwrap tubing (which becomes pretty thick.) I also had to put them on initially over techflex so that I could get the end near the 1st stage fastenend. Tried it with lubricant(oil) and DW soap. Lubricant was much easier, but soap is probably better because it could be rinsed off.

Boiling it wouldn't help me completely because the hose protector has to stay on the hose for a while while I fasten the techflex at the 1st stage end, and by that time, it would have probably getten stiff.

It was 10x harder than putting it on the plain hose. I think I my hands were sore for the next few days.

I am not looking forward to put the flexo & hose protector on my new reg, although the Oceanic has 2 of its own stretchy rubber hose protector, which is not hard to put on.

I prefer KY, but thats just a personal preference.

Like it was stated, build a good rapport with your LDS. I just purchased a couple computers from Leisure Pro and my instructor had no problems helping install/test em for free. I thought he would charge a little something, but then again, in my short time being a scuba diver...I have managed to put myself in debt for the rest of my life. I notcied the LDS owner has a brand new car and I think my name is on part of the title. :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom