How to find an LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Napa County. Which means that neighboring Sonoma County is completely inaccessible, but I can reach the BART system and visit San Fran as a day trip.

I just wrote a super long response and then re-read your post and realized you're not interested in scuba lessons but buying gear. I know I read it but I got distracted. hah!

Anyway, I have heard of Pinnacles and of Marin Diving Center. I believe they are quite popular for that area. It might be worth trying to get to. At the very least, give them a call and tell them what you're looking for in a suit and your needs (freediving vs scuba vs surfing). If you decide to visit SF, Bamboo Reef is accessible as it's a few blocks from BART and would require a nice walk or a private car hire. It's really close to the CalTrain station (of course BART and CalTrain doesn't meet up in SF as that would only make SENSE!).

The shops like Pinnacles and Marin as well as Bamboo reef might have photos posted online of their brick and mortar offerings. Again, give them a call.
A lot of people have been diving and taking lessons due to covid. However, keep in mind that neoprene production took a hit during the pandemic and a lot of things are simply out of stock and will take some time to bring in. When and if you do call, try and be a bit more specific with what you need and sizing. You might also ask what kind of brands/styles they carry so you can take notes and look up size charts, etc onilne before making the journey.

Napa County. Which means that neighboring Sonoma County is completely inaccessible, but I can reach the BART system and visit San Fran as a day trip.
Also check out Monterey Scuba Divers Open or Northern California Scuba Diving - both are groups on facebook if you're on that thing. People there might have really good suggestions too.

Pinnacles is opening a store in Fairfield this month or next, which may be accessible to you.

You could call Seal’s water sports in Santa Rosa, (707) 541-3100 and ask them what they have in stock. Tell them you height and weight, they might have a suit that fits you. If you can manage to get to Sonoma somehow from Napa then you could take Sonoma county transit and find a way to get there, or get a friend to drive you. There’s also Sonoma Coast Divers in Rohnert Park but I don’t know what they have since I don’t go in there, not because it’s a bad shop, but because it’s out of the way. And then like others have mentioned Jon down at Marin Dive Center, he’s a great guy. I don’t know anything about Pinnacles in Novato since Joe sold it. I hear the new guy is into tech. Don’t forget about the dive shop in Sausalito too, Harbor Dive Center. I believe they are still around.

Steele's has great prices, but limited hours right now because of covid. Call them first.

Any Water Sports is very nice, but there's a worldwide neoprene shortage right now so their stock might be low.

Diver Dan's is worth a visit if you're already in San Jose.

I like Pinnacle Dive Center in Novato, but I'm unsure of their wetsuit selection.

Also check out Monterey Scuba Divers Open or Northern California Scuba Diving - both are groups on facebook if you're on that thing. People there might have really good suggestions too.
Do you think it’s worth getting a Facebook account to join Northern California Scuba Diving? I’m not on Facebook so that’s why I ask. I’m looking for a forum that has more Norcal based discussion.
Is there any activity about the North Coast, or is it all about Monterey?

Do you think it’s worth getting a Facebook account to join Northern California Scuba Diving? I’m not on Facebook so that’s why I ask. I’m looking for a forum that has more Norcal based discussion.
Is there any activity about the North Coast, or is it all about Monterey?

It really depends on if you're willing to jump onto facebook. I have friends that absolutely refuse to participate in soicial media websites like that. I would say it can be helpful. People constantly post about lost items and finding buddies and trip reports. Obviously they do here too but it seems that things are a little more active there.
Still, you're getting responses here too.

I notice that the NorCal one has SOME discussion but it's not frequent. There is also a Tahoe group I am in. There are posts once in a while and any time i have asked a question in that group, people are ready to response.

In the end, if you're not opposed to websites like Facebook then sure, join. If you're leary of giving up personal info, you can always use a 'close to real' name and set up a new gmail account to use to collect the social spam.

Back
Top Bottom