How to find an LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeRtheOcean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Google Maps is useful up to a point, but you have to know what to look for. I am trying to find a wetsuit, but I am having difficulty because the search results I am getting in the Bay Area do not tell me much about that. A number of the dive shops seem to be mostly in the instruction side of things, and not so much gear (unless they just don't emphasize that on their website). Since I have no car, getting around takes careful logistical planning, coordinating BART and local bus agency routes, so I really can't physically shop around going to lots of different places. So within these constraints, how would you go about finding a place with a decent selection of gear, specifically wetsuits?

steele's is in oakland, bamboo reef is in the city. if you want to dive monterey, you will need to rent a car or get a ride from someone. else fly from sfo somewhere warm.

Calling an LDS and they'll most likely tell you to come in and they'll fit you for a suit. Not all wetsuit fit the same. If we knew what area you lived in, we could recommend an LDS. You're not certified, per your status, so are you looking for a wetsuit for class?

Of the shops I've visited, Diver Dan's in Santa Clara has a nice selection of wetsuits. I haven't been to Bamboo Reef in SF in ten years so I can't comment on them.

Looking for a wetsuit? Lemme help......

If you're a large or XL, you're in luck because you won't find a better deal on a wetsuit for the money.
7mm Deep 6 Wetsuit

Good luck,
Jay

Lots of Dive Shops aren't very web savvy. Unfortunately for them, it ends up costing them lots of business. When I was looking for an LDS, of the around 8 shops in my area, only 3 posted their course schedule only and only one of those was up to date. (The other two were advertising courses over a year in the past)

Only 2 of the shops had any sort of indication of what they sold beyond listing a few brand names.

Like you I don't want to have to call and or visit every shop. So 7 of the shops lost my business.

Having since been to a few of the shops the ones that appear to be well run business also have an p to date web/social media presence, at least in my area.

So to repeat from above - which part of the bay area do you live?

Some places are much easier to get to. If we have an idea of where you're at, then it'd be easier to suggest a LDS that can help you.
They're almost all excellent.

So to repeat from above - which part of the bay area do you live?
Napa County. Which means that neighboring Sonoma County is completely inaccessible, but I can reach the BART system and visit San Fran as a day trip.

Back
Top Bottom