How To Equalize With Methods Other Than The Valsalva?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fogest

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been having issues in the pool when I get down to 12ft with the pressure on my ears. When I perform the Valsalva maneuver it works but I seem unable to get my right ear to equalize. I still feel the pressure on it. I am quite confident that this will be a bigger issue once I get to the OW and have to go deeper. When I am attempting this procedure I have tried it while standing straight and looking up as from my understanding this is makes it much easier to equalize.

Now I know there are other methods like the "Toynbee" where you pinch your nose and swallow. This one I have actually had success with on the surface for equalizing both ears, including the right one. My problem is how do you actually do this underwater? My mouth needs to kinda be sealed to perform this one and that seems hard with the reg in my mouth.

I am not asking for medical advice here, I am already going to the doctor to have my ear checked just to see if there is anything wonky with my right ear.

Here ya go:
Equalization question

I wrote a little synopsis of the 3 main methods divers/freedivers use to equalize.
It is much easier to look up an actual dedicated blog tutorial on the 2 advanced methods, VS retyping it all out here.

The main 2 others you're probably looking for at Frenzel & VTO/BTV.

Use your tongue to close your mouth; practice by swallowing with your mouth open, maybe while standing and waiting for a bus.

In my teaching experience, the Valsalva is NOT the most commonly successful way to equalize. Toynbee and Frenzel win that contest. Swallowing is key, so learn to do it. It can also help to bend your head to the side away from the offending ear, so as to stretch that Eustachian tube.

Beat the Squeeze: Equalize Like a Pro should answer most of your questions.

You can pinch your nose and swallow with a regulator in your mouth if you press your tongue firmly against your palate. Don't forget to have the ear you're clearing turned up toward the surface.

From your description of the Valsalva maneuver I believe I am doing it correctly, so it is probably not that. However I do think this could be a problem relating to ear wax like you mentioned. I am going to the doctor in a couple days so they can take a look at that and hopefully clear out my ears.

I think the Toynbee and Frenzel are definitely going to be the ones I start practicing more as they seem to be working to equalize both my ears. I will continue to practice them with my mouth open every so often as suggested so that I can get used to doing them in the water!

Thanks everyone!

After seeing many divers and reading stuff here, I would assume differences in physiology probably cause people to have to equalise differently--maybe not. I agree that swallowing is probably the most common way, and I do this when descending very rapidly. Otherwise I internally cause it to happen. When you yawn (NOT in water....) you will hear a click in both ears at some point near the apex of the yawn. This is actually equalizing. Figuring out how to get to the click without the yawn lets you equazlise without any swallowing, jaw moving, nose pinching, blowing, etc. I know of others who do this, though I have no idea if it works for everyone. I guess the reason I occasionally have to swallow has to do with descending very fast pulling myself down an anchor line.

I would also add that it's easy to descend feet first and look down as you try to equalize, but this can really work against you. Try looking up next time and it should be a little easier.

I would also add that it's easy to descend feet first and look down as you try to equalize, but this can really work against you. Try looking up next time and it should be a little easier.
Yeah I actually mentioned in my post that I am straight up and looking up. Still can only get my left to clear.

I was just at the pool tonight and I couldn't get my ears to clear with other methods. I was unable to swallow to do the toynbee as my mouth is too dry from the reg to be able to swallow.

Back
Top Bottom