Question How to dive Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have GPS location for it, in case my dive guide is not familiar with it?

Thanks!

No I don't have GPS for it, sorry.
It's located just off the island in the horseshoe in the east part of the horseshoe very close to where it breaks out into open ocean. I know it sounds like nonsense, we didn't have a GPS location and had to noodle around a bit to find it, we did leave a jug tied off so it might be still marked by other dive ops also.

It probably is not dived often because the current can take you right out into open ocean where you would disapear quite fast... i know your well equipped for that situation but your boat might be the only one able to look for a lost diver.

This intinerary from Extreme Komodo | 5 nights | Komodo National Park includes Gili Banta,

5E17ED67-28BA-48AD-97DF-69A34EB489B4.jpeg

No I don't have GPS for it, sorry.
It's located just off the island in the horseshoe in the east part of the horseshoe very close to where it breaks out into open ocean. I know it sounds like nonsense, we didn't have a GPS location and had to noodle around a bit to find it, we did leave a jug tied off so it might be still marked by other dive ops also.

It probably is not dived often because the current can take you right out into open ocean where you would disapear quite fast... i know your well equipped for that situation but your boat might be the only one able to look for a lost diver.
So, is it at the Nusa Kode’s eastern shore, just south of Crinoid Wall / Corner?

Crinoid Wall is just across the Horseshoe Bay off Yellow Wall, which is on Rinca's shore.

27 - Nusa Kode - Crinoid Wall.jpg

It looks to be either just south of the enter point or just north of the exit of crinoid wall you have marked, as its off a point on Nusa Kode.

Reactions: Dan
I want to dive in the best dive sites Komodo has to offer with enough time (2 weeks) for contingencies. I remember on my 2nd trip to Komodo (back in December 2012-January 2013) we made it to Horseshoe Bay, but couldn't go to Manta Alley due to weather. During summer time (June 2008 and August 2014) we were able to dive in Manta Alley. That's the reason we plan to go back there in July-August time.

Thanks for pointing out about the southern Komodo is more weather dependent than the northern Komodo. I may re-arrange the itinerary to dive in the southern Komodo in the first week if the weather is good there and go to the northern Komodo on the 2nd week. So the original itinerary (as shown in post 1, above) becomes my alternative itinerary (Plan B).

We plan to do 4 dives in Sangeang (Bonto, Tikno, Lighthouse & Hot Rocks). My overall itinerary as shown, below and the dive sites where we plan to dive in are listed in Database for Bali-Komodo Dive Sites including GPS info

View attachment 721937

i did 5 komodo-komodo cruises ... always between the end of july and the end of august, the only time we managed to go south we almost died ... :D:D:D after two nights we went back north:wink:
around august you have to be lucky:cool:

i did 5 komodo-komodo cruises ... always between the end of july and the end of august, the only time we managed to go south we almost died ... :D:D:D after two nights we went back north:wink:
I'm so jealous :p.

That's why I plan for 2 weeks there and hoping for one of the weeks to be dive-able in the south. As @Cali_diver suggestion to plan for contingencies and if the first week weather is good (fingers crossed), then, my Plan A itinerary would be as follows:

Komodo 2022.jpg

We went south that time of year on the Dewi Nusantara and we only made it because she is so big. The turn into the Bay was one of the scariest things I have felt. If we hadn't all been tasked with holding specific items in place (tv, fridge, chairs, coffee pots etc.) we might have all bailed over the side!! It was a bit thrilling though, and we caught a fisherman bombing cannibal rock since they didn't expect any other boats. Honestly the best way to enjoy the south is to go during the off season! It is much warmer and accessible.

I'm so jealous :p.

That's why I plan for 2 weeks there and hoping for one of the weeks to be dive-able in the south. As @Cali_diver suggestion to plan for contingencies and if the first week weather is good (fingers crossed), then, my Plan A itinerary would be as follows:

View attachment 722065

If you can do this tour I will be jealous !! :jump::jump::jump:
finger crossed for you.... :wink:

We went south that time of year on the Dewi Nusantara and we only made it because she is so big. The turn into the Bay was one of the scariest things I have felt. If we hadn't all been tasked with holding specific items in place (tv, fridge, chairs, coffee pots etc.) we might have all bailed over the side!! It was a bit thrilling though, and we caught a fisherman bombing cannibal rock since they didn't expect any other boats. Honestly the best way to enjoy the south is to go during the off season! It is much warmer and accessible.

we were on a small phinisi with 4 cabins ... we arrived easy at lothsera bay ... but during the night the wind dragging our anchor... the next morning going to manta alley trough loth sera cape was really scary with huge waves.... I saw the concern of the crew, they almost prayed... :eek: after coming back to lothsera bay we do a meeting with the crew and we decided it was safer to go back north, the next morning the wind and waves were really out of control ... there was a good chance we would sink if trying to go south rinca ...:crying::crying::crying: next time.... on another season... :cool:

we were on a small phinisi with 4 cabins ... we arrived easy at lothsera bay ... but during the night the wind dragging our anchor... the next morning going to manta alley trough loth sera cape was really scary with huge waves.... I saw the concern of the crew, they almost prayed... :eek: after coming back to lothsera bay we do a meeting with the crew and we decided it was safer to go back north, the next morning the wind and waves were really out of control ... there was a good chance we would sink if trying to go south rinca ...:crying::crying::crying: next time.... on another season... :cool:
Wise decision. We would do the same. Which boat was it?

Back
Top Bottom