How to deal with the “coral breaker”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I don't think I need to say this, but please don't start an underwater knife fight with him either :)
As @BlueTrin said, it won't be much of a fight if you catch him by surprise
You can also put some visine in their beverage in hopes that the stomache upset will get them to sit out a few dives.
And risk warhammer? I prefer good old fashioned knife fight
So I have a theory…. the dive masters don’t actually want to confront the “coral breaker” because it may interfere with their tip.
It might interfere more if there is no coral left for people to dive on?

Seriously though, if it was me, I would tell DM first and if no response I would tell it openly. And it's not even about me, it's about people that would like to come in the future to enjoy the same stuff. I'll try to do it politely, but I don't really care if they want to have fight response with me, although I do understand that being 6 ft bald dude with broad shoulders might have somewhat dettering effect.

Very interesting responses, and very different ones! Definitely gives me some good ideas on how to deal with this guy in the future.

Speaking for me personally, the live and let live philosophy is one that I would definitely like to strive to practice. And that would be great if it was unintentional touching of the coral caused by lack of experience, strong currents ect.. whatever. But when the guy is selfishly, literally pushing himself off the coral just to get a better angle for his picture….it’s gonna be the “hey guy, get the f$&!k off the coral, your destroying it” from me.

Very interesting responses, and very different ones! Definitely gives me some good ideas on how to deal with this guy in the future.

Speaking for me personally, the live and let live philosophy is one that I would definitely like to strive to practice. And that would be great if it was unintentional touching of the coral caused by lack of experience, strong currents ect.. whatever. But when the guy is selfishly, literally pushing himself off the coral just to get a better angle for his picture….it’s gonna be the “hey guy, get the f$&!k off the coral, your destroying it” from me.
Just remember that any human presence on the reef/in the marine park is invasive/intrusive, damaging to one point or another, and is for selfish reasons. Recreational diving is selfish and levies its toll over time.

-Z

Just remember that any human presence on the reef/in the marine park is invasive/intrusive, damaging to one point or another, and is for selfish reasons. Recreational diving is selfish and levies it till over time.

-Z
True, and I have thought about the destruction caused by my own diving and the industry as a whole. No doubt it happens, from flying, car travel, stress on local infrastructure. I tend to think or at least I hope that responsible diving has some positive attributes to the local area and environment as well.
I don’t know exact statistics, but hunters and people that fish generally support (financially) local wildlife conservation efforts. Between the millions made in annual hunting and fishing licenses in which a large part goes back to conservation efforts. Then figure in groups like Pheasants Forever of Ducks Unlimited which contribute vastly to help habitat restoration and so on, hopefully the dive industry can also help to preserve and restore local marine ecosystems.

Just remember that any human presence on the reef/in the marine park is invasive/intrusive, damaging to one point or another, and is for selfish reasons. Recreational diving is selfish and levies its toll over time.

-Z
Our mere existence has a negative impact on this planet. The impact that divers have varies dramatically from the rebreather diver who doesn't touch anything and the sea life generally ignore to the diver on OC crawling over the reef and breaking coral left and right.

I was still a relatively new diver when I attended an entertaining presentation on diving in Cairns, Australia. One of the things I took away from the presentation was that much of the damage to the reef comes from "so called advanced divers." These people think they are really good, so that means they can get really close to the reef. Unfortunately, they aren't as good as they think they are, and so they are the ones creating the damage.

In another thread going on right now, a diver asked about how to improve buoyancy. One of the people responding said they like to work on buoyancy by getting super close to the reef, so their chest is barely brushing it.

Our mere existence has a negative impact on this planet. The impact that divers have varies dramatically from the rebreather diver who doesn't touch anything and the sea life generally ignore to the diver on OC crawling over the reef and breaking coral left and right.
You accentuate one aspect of my point. The other being, that often those who are shouting the loudest about the destruction fail to account for their own impact, which is more often than not entirely self-serving and self-righteous.

Unless one is prepared to account for their own impact, however great or small, they should temper how confrontational they will be and perhaps find more constructive ways to have a positive impact on the diving environment and fellow divers.

It is super easy to climb up on the high horse from which we preach, but often awfully challenging to climb down....the old adage stands: when one points a finger at someone, one has 3 pointing back at themself.

-Z

IMO it is much easier and perhaps less obnoxious to do this while in the water. Just get in the diver's field of view and use hand signals for touching and then shake your head in a big "No" gesture. In fact I have done this a few times, admittedly with divers I knew already. I reach towards whatever it is I want them to stop touching, then pause before touching it and shake my head. A quick "OK?" gesture confirms that they get it.

You accentuate one aspect of my point. The other being, that often those who are shouting the loudest about the destruction fail to account for their own impact, which is more often than not entirely self-serving and self-righteous.
Well, in my defense (if you think I'm being self-serving and self-righteous) I have never disposed of my motor oil this way:
1688325064588.png

Unless one is prepared to account for their own impact, however great or small, they should temper how confrontational they will be and perhaps find more constructive ways to have a positive impact on the diving environment and fellow divers.
I would expect most people who care about the environment have awareness of their own impact. That won't be universally true, but I think that is the rule, not the exception. Though I am pulling the ratio out of a dark place. I do admit that.
It is super easy to climb up on the high horse from which we preach, but often awfully challenging to climb down....the old adage stands: when one points a finger at someone, one has 3 pointing back at themself.
I think it is because people care and lament the destruction of dive sites. We discuss ad nauseum proper training here on SB.

When you see experienced divers crawling over coral to take pictures, I think a sharp response is justified. When I saw that behavior in Belize, I didnt' say anything as I had my wife and 2 year old daughter with me. I don't want to subject my daughter to verbal altercations. When she's a teenager, sure, no problem.

Well, in my defense (if you think I'm being self-serving and self-righteous) I have never disposed of my motor oil this way:
View attachment 790637

I would expect most people who care about the environment have awareness of their own impact. That won't be universally true, but I think that is the rule, not the exception. Though I am pulling the ratio out of a dark place. I do admit that.

I think it is because people care and lament the destruction of dive sites. We discuss ad nauseum proper training here on SB.

When you see experienced divers crawling over coral to take pictures, I think a sharp response is justified. When I saw that behavior in Belize, I didnt' say anything as I had my wife and 2 year old daughter with me. I don't want to subject my daughter to verbal altercations. When she's a teenager, sure, no problem.

Nothing negative was specifically tageted towards you. I don't necessarily think you are selfish or self-righteous...I was speaking (writing) in general terms.

I don't believe that the idea that "most people who care about the enviroment have awareness of their own impact" is true at all, and there are plenty of examples to dig into but that is not what this discussion thread is really about.

I think not subjecting your 2 year old daughter to verbal altercations/confrontations between you and another is a very good mindset/guidance...I am not sure why you feel that mindset should change as her age changes. Perhaps we (the collective we) should interact in such a way as if we had our 2 year old children forever by our side.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom