How to deal with the “coral breaker”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently did a liveaboard in a National Marine Park and was grouped up with a photographer that simply didn't care what it took to get the shot. He would push his way into the shot and then do whatever it took to get the photo. Positioning nudis, breaking coral, etc. I was pretty shocked to see this behavior, particularly from a very experienced diver. He knew what he was doing. The shot was more important.
I pulled the DM and then the boat owner aside after the dives on a few occasions but nothing was ever done. Turned out the guy is a regular on the boat and they will not call him out. Ironic as this is an outfit that promotes itself as eco-friendly as well as the fact the boat used his photos to make an end of the trip video collage.

No cameras. There. That was easy.

They do it with gloves, so .....

In my experience the DM and boat captain are loathe to criticize a client for fear of losing a tip.
This is unquestionably true in some cases. It is unquestionably not true in others. I have seen DMs blatantly watch such behavior without comment, and I have seen DMs go into action, sometimes sternly, to take care of it. The ultimate problem does not lie with the DMs--it lies with the operators who employ the DMs. If the DM has been clearly told by the employer that the customer is always right, it will do you no good to talk to the DM--the DM is going to do what the boss says, not what you want. That points you to a course of action.

1. Assume first that the diver means well. Twenty years ago in Cozumel we were preparing for the dive, and two divers were putting on their gloves, their BFKs, and their collection bags as the DM watched silently. I told them that none of those were allowed in the marine park. They asked the DM, and he confirmed it. They said "OK" and took it all off. The DM was afraid to speak up on his own, but the divers were happy to comply once they knew the rules.

2. Give the DM a chance to do something. If you point out the problem and the DM does nothing, you know that the fault lies elsewhere. I once pointed out to the DM that the father and two sons on the dive, diving without wetsuits in the warm water, were wearing 5mm gloves to they could propel themselves along the coral. He did nothing during that first dive, and nothing on the second dive after I talked to him between dives.

3. Go to management. Let them know you aren't happy. If you don't get the response you want (and you likely won't)....

4. That is what social media is for. If the evidence shows that the dive operation is consciously allowing such carnage, then lots and lots and lots of people need to know about it. I have told stories about specific dive operations many times on ScubaBoard.

I recently did a liveaboard in a National Marine Park and was grouped up with a photographer that simply didn't care what it took to get the shot. He would push his way into the shot and then do whatever it took to get the photo. Positioning nudis, breaking coral, etc. I was pretty shocked to see this behavior, particularly from a very experienced diver. He knew what he was doing. The shot was more important.
I pulled the DM and then the boat owner aside after the dives on a few occasions but nothing was ever done. Turned out the guy is a regular on the boat and they will not call him out. Ironic as this is an outfit that promotes itself as eco-friendly as well as the fact the boat used his photos to make an end of the trip video collage.
I was on a liveaboard with a similarly entitled fool a few years back, although he wasn't breaking up the coral but scaring away the hammerheads. He had booked two trips back to back and when they didn't have the right kind of soda or something he complained to the head office after the first trip. None of the crew would challenge him after that. We were all hoping for the tiger sharks to get him by the end of our trip.

Please, don't throw poor guy's camera overboard. Then, 1) you are littering and 2) he'll just get a new one 3) you'll be the bad guy in the story.

Oh, I don't think I need to say this, but please don't start an underwater knife fight with him either :)

Are you suggesting some sabotage with the knife rather than a face to face? I like your style 🥷

(Don’t worry I will not repeat to anyone, you won’t have to overthink this)

More seriously … just tell the guy? He may not know.

The responsibility to protect the reef belongs to all of us. I have observed gross transgressions a few times, either on a liveaboard or at a resort. The initial level of responsibility is with us, the observer. I generally approach the transgressor and comment something like I watched you grabbing the corals or sponges in order to get your photos. That behavior is unacceptable and you need to change it. The response goes in one of two ways. I will try harder to improve, or I'll do what I want, F you. In general, I also inform the dive op of my comments, I have received assistance on a few occasions and disregard on others. What more can you do?

It’s about the tips I’m afraid

Are you suggesting some sabotage with the knife rather than a face to face? I like your style 🥷

(Don’t worry I will not repeat to anyone, you won’t have to overthink this)

More seriously … just tell the guy? He may not know.
This guy knew because I motioned him up in a very aggressive stance, as aggressive as you can be under water without actually touching someone.

Back
Top Bottom