How to connect Al 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys.

You told me the same thing when I inquired. However, I got the bar and used it very successfully. No one tried to do any deep and deco diving with the cheater bar.

For the shallow water, there is nothing wrong with that......

Sure, I also love the independent set up. But, he said he doesn't want to have additional reg.....

hoosier:
Hey guys.

You told me the same thing when I inquired. However, I got the bar and used it very successfully. No one tried to do any deep and deco diving with the cheater bar.

For the shallow water, there is nothing with that......

Sure, I also love the independent set up. But, he said he don't want to have additional reg.....
maybe a bigger tank would suffice

Why does anyone need doubles 80s for open water diving. Not tech diving I am sure is being asked about because we are talking about a single outlet cheater bar. I recommend against the whole thing. Very few people really need more than 70 to 100 cf for sport diving and again surely we are not talking about deep and deco diving with a cheater bar so exactly what is this thread about? N

Guys thanks for the advice

Here is an example last week dive was 130 so on an alum 80 I did not have much bottom time combine the cold and air goes pretty fast

Most of The other divers had double set ups.

I thought with the double back I would have better bouyancy and less cumbersome than a side mount. I have a backplate setup

Is everyone saying I am better off trying to side mount?

I can get another reg if thats recomended I just thought hooking both tanks to one reg made things easier but I agree thats more failure points after increased bottom time hence increased need to hang

Should I just make arrangments to rent doubles instead of trying to use 2 80's?

Is the cheater bar really going to implode or something? Gas management sounds less complex when I am not switching tanks.

I know I know I need to spend thousands of dollars on training

Anybodywant to save me the money and explain how to side rig a tank?

tnx

NYCDVR:
Guys thanks for the advice

Here is an example last week dive was 130 so on an alum 80 I did not have much bottom time combine the cold and air goes pretty fast

Most of The other divers had double set ups.

I thought with the double back I would have better bouyancy and less cumbersome than a side mount. I have a backplate setup

Is everyone saying I am better off trying to side mount?

I can get another reg if thats recomended I just thought hooking both tanks to one reg made things easier but I agree thats more failure points after increased bottom time hence increased need to hang

Should I just make arrangments to rent doubles instead of trying to use 2 80's?

Is the cheater bar really going to implode or something? Gas management sounds less complex when I am not switching tanks.

I know I know I need to spend thousands of dollars on training

Anybodywant to save me the money and explain how to side rig a tank?

tnx
I may be wrong because it's been some time sense I did a ndl to 130, but isn't the ndl like 7 min? maybe 10 with 28% nitrox. you burned an 80 cuft in 10 min?

You're better off with a bigger single tank with a pony bottle, or proper doubles. Whichever way you go, be sure you get some proper instruction and practice regularly.

You don't need to spend $1000 on training, but $100 for the local tech instructor to spend a couple hours showing you how it works and getting underwater with you would be money very well spent.

"I may be wrong because it's been some time sense I did a ndl to 130, but isn't the ndl like 7 min? maybe 10 with 28% nitrox. you burned an 80 cuft in 10 min?"

I agree, at 130 feet using my Navy tables I show 10 minutes. Put a little caution in that and you have maybe 7 minutes. You use 80 cf in 10 minutes!!!!!! I have made such dives on a half tank leaving half for reserve and a deco stop if so minded. If you got one of those 100 cf tanks that should be plenty for anyone and if your doing deco---you better not count on a cheater bar, they are known to leak badly at the worst possible time. No deco sport diving in open water and no overhead then nobody needs 160 cf of air---my opinion. N

Here is the dual yoke valve for the reference. Please let me know if somebody is interested in.

Dual_Yoke_Valve.JPG

NYCDVR:
Okay Guys I travel to the boat by subway I do not own tanks

I want to dive doubles can someone explain or provide a link for rigging up 2 alum 80's that are already filled(boats rent these) I have been told I cannot use metal if they are already filled

Do not have a car no steel doubles want to connect 2 alum 80's on the boat
Specifically what kind of bars and such do I need

Want to setup with one regulator going to both tanks not looking for redundency just more air Also If I can figure out how to do this would be great for travel

thanks in advance

Check out the website Diverite .com
they have some nice illustrations for hooking up doulbles
I use 2 al 80s but with 2 regs,and a cutoff valve in the middle. I also use an al40 stage
with another reg and spg EAN 32% I also carry a spare air (Iknow I will get static for that). The deepest I have been with this setup is 150ft.
As far as I know though, the tanks must be empty to install the dual manifold.

chris

I don't see the problem with another reg if routed correctly.

The cost of a used reg, spg and bands won't break any bank acct fer sure.

Independent doubles seems like the best bet IMO

Back
Top Bottom