How to choose a pair of FINS ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was in high school my parents gave me a racing bicycle. It was a nice bike, but it just didn't really have the right frame geometry and ride for the racing I was going to do. Not wanting to hurt their feelings I kept riding it, but it just never "clicked" with me. Ultimately I got a bike that did fit my style perfectly, and overnight training and racing became much more enjoyable and interesting.

Echoing Al's comment above, things like fins and masks (especially) are very personal items that need a combination of functionality, personal fit and comfort, and (yes) style. Instead of purchasing these items for your son, I recommend you get a gift certificate for him so that he can best ensure that he gets items that are suited right for him, not what you or members here at SB feel are best. He'll still appreciate your gesture just as much but won't be in a position like I was with that bike, especially if he is getting serious about diving as you indicate.

Al Mialkovsky:
Again taking advice on what is best is like buying shoes because one of us loves a certain shoe. You've got to test them first. A popular fin among many users here just sucks for me. Doesn't mean it's a bad fin, just means it doesn't work for me.

Al's 100% correct. The fin that sucks for him happens to be the fin I love, and the fin he loves, sucks for me. Both are good fins, just not universal in their design and appeal.

what sucks is if you can't try them out yourself in a pool or anything...but i've been looking at the sherwood kinesis or mares volo myself (if your going to be investing quite a bit) they are great fins! i dunno which are better yet, cuz i have just posted a thread about them to gather info haha...but i think fins are a personal thing because they are an extention of the body, therefore choose the ones that you think will fit best, and be the easiest on your wallet...but difinately go with a knife, they are sweet
mackaB

Jarrett:
Where's Larry? :)

Oh, I'm here... And I'll do my chime in for splits. For the last 4 years running (maybe 5 now... I can't remember) the Apollo Bio Fins have gotten the best scores for speed, efficiency, etc. And the "Can't swim in a current" comment came up so much, I wrote a whole page on it: http://scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/splitcurrent.asp

But I didn't want to suffer the slings and arrows of the jet fin crowd... but for me. Dive easy, dive with less stress on my legs, dive with more air conservation, dive faster when I need to chase down a turtle to show the group I'm leading... and dive with split fins.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFins

Happy Jarrett?? Now sit back and enjoy!:popcorn:

Thanks every body
Of course I am working on this with my son.
He decides. Here i am just taking some inputs from diving gurus.
He have tryed the Mares Quatro and he love them, but he is thinking the option of a split one, maybe the Tulsa X-pert Zoom. Once he tryed split fins and he was not very confortable. his question is... Will I be confortable in the future with splits when I learn to use them?
Regards
Jorge

I have both the Scuba Pro Twin Speeds (black) and Jet fins. Both are good fins. My favorite fins to dive with, and the ones used most often, are the Jets with stainless steel spring straps (a must!). The Twin Speeds are my back-up fins now.

Jorge-ecuador:
He have a surfing wetsuit but also need a scuba wetsuit

I dont see why the surfing wetsuit wouldnt work for him. At least for now. The booties I am using are just some left overs from my surfing days. The oly thing I dont like about them is the fact that they are split toes and kinda hurt my toes after about 45 minutes of diving.

But I dont see how there can be much of a difference between the surfing and diving suit except for the fact that one says "o'neil" on the front and one says "Henderson" on it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong

It is done
The choice is Tusa X-Pert Zoom from Scuba Toys.
The surfing wetsuit is not very warm. He is using it but some times the water is very cold so he want a 5mm one.
It is not an urgent thing, also the warm season is begining now and he can wait. But one thing he want to do soon is go to the Galapagos Island and there he will need a good wetsuit becasse in some island water is very cold.
Thanks every body.
Regards
Jorge

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom