How to choose a pair of FINS ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorge-ecuador

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am not an expert diver but want to buy a good pair of fins to give them to my 21 years old son. He is begining to dive, he is certified, he is studing marine biologist, and also want to be a Master Diver. So pleasse let me know what to consider to choose them. Also a mask.
Let me know what else is convenient to complete his equipment.

He allready have a new Mares Package with regulator, octo, BCD & Gauges.
He have a surfing wetsuit but also need a scuba wetsuit, but I think this is not easy to buy on line, it is better he try it beffore buy it I think.

What else? :confused:
Whisle. Wich one?
Knive. Wich one?

Thanks in advance an regards
Jorge

Several top brands are "favored" around here.

If he likes "paddle" style fins the ScubaPro Jet fins are what I call the "tank" of the diving world - often lasting 20+ years and favored by many dive pros I've come across in my area. Tend to be favored for precision fin kicks.

If he preferrs "split" style fins the BioPro's and Scubapro Twin Jets both get high marks from users. Tend to be easier on the legs preventing muscle cramps and generating more speed.

Either way they have to fit his feet, so finding them locally is always a good idea, but if you know the size he needs either can be found less expensively online - Might contact Larry at scubatoys.com as he even offers a 10% discount for Scubaboard members.

As for a knife, it doesn't need to be big, smaller/inexpensive would be my choice as knives are easily lost/corroded - EMT shears are also a popular replacement for knives as well. Personally I use a "Betty Crocker Special" just a SS steak knife with the tip broken off from a yard sale - sew a webbing sheath and your'e all set.

Whistles for surface use I'd recommend either the "Storm" or "Fox 40" as both are very loud and do not use a "pea" which can become damaged when exposed to water.

Aloha, Tim

Might as well start him out right with a pair of SP Jets or USD Rockets(not sure if they still even make the rockets, tho).

I have lots of fins myself. There is one that prefer and it's yellow :)

Best way to tell is to test drive them.

I started with SP jets some 23 years ago, so I decided to try the split fins (Atomic) and am now using my jet fins. I do have a pair of split fins for sale if anyone needs a pair of large.

Jorge-ecuador:
I am not an expert diver but want to buy a good pair of fins to give them to my 21 years old son. He is begining to dive, he is certified, he is studing marine biologist, and also want to be a Master Diver. So pleasse let me know what to consider to choose them. Also a mask.
Let me know what else is convenient to complete his equipment.

He allready have a new Mares Package with regulator, octo, BCD & Gauges.
He have a surfing wetsuit but also need a scuba wetsuit, but I think this is not easy to buy on line, it is better he try it beffore buy it I think.

What else? :confused:
Whisle. Wich one?
Knive. Wich one?

Thanks in advance an regards
Jorge

Jorge, I also use Scubapro Jetfins. You can find them cheap on ebay so if your son doesn't like them then he can sell them again without a big loss.

Jetfins excel at the frog- and back kick. See these clips for the kicks: http://www.thumpershole.com/dir_training.htm

If that's how your son wants to move then jet fins or turtle fins are the way to go. However, the industry by and large only teaches the flutter kick for which split fins are better. Some people also prefer force fins.

A small, blunt tip knife is all you need to cut yourself out of an entanglement or your suit in an emergency. The one below from salvodiving.com has a metal end so you can also bang with it on your tank to get the attention of other divers:

knifeblack_6.jpg

I just use a steak knife though with the tip cut off.

A basic storm whistle and signaling mirror are good safety items for ocean diving. Just buy cheap ones from a place like scubatoys.com or some other place.

Then your son will also need primary and backup light for night diving, and which one is best will depend on how much your son is willing to pay and what his needs are.

A lot of divers also end up buying an underwater camera and strobes.

Hi,

I rented and borrowed fins and masks before I made my purchase. It helped me make a better decision knowing what I didn't like.

Good luck.

Rich

yea...if he is going to be a Marine Biologist...get SP jet fins or Mares Quatros.

you want him to do well in current.

Again taking advice on what is best is like buying shoes because one of us loves a certain shoe. You've got to test them first. A popular fin among many users here just sucks for me. Doesn't mean it's a bad fin, just means it doesn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom