How to best use a computer to be a good diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve never put my computer into deco although I understand abstractly from the manual what would happen and what the display would be. I’m thinking of trying it out by setting mine to the most conservative mode and an identical one to the most liberal, follow the liberal one, and see what happens to the conservative one.

I’ve never put my computer into deco although I understand abstractly from the manual what would happen and what the display would be. I’m thinking of trying it out by setting mine to the most conservative mode and an identical one to the most liberal, follow the liberal one, and see what happens to the conservative one.
It may well take a 48 hour vacation.

That is something that makes a lot of sense to me, plus if you go through the decompression process that it (incorrectly) specifies, you get more practice and confidence in your knowledge and abilities and the computer should not lock you out, assuming you didn't violate it.

5. Know how your computer will alert you to an unplanned decompression obligation and how it will guide you to the surface. When it happens is not the time to be figuring it out.

Also know how your computer shows that you were in deco after you surface.

I got a flashing deco after I had surfaced, but had no indication of being in deco during the dive. After seeing that I told my buddy and we went back to the safety stop, where there was on indication of deco. We burned the rest of our air and surfaced wondering wtf. It was the last dive so no big deal as far as not diving again, but scratching our heads about what was going on with the computer.

When I uploaded the dive, I found that, while following the bottom as I was surfacing, I went into deco as the bottom stayed flat for a bit and back out once the slope increased. It was for all of a minute, and I had not noticed when it happened.

It was in the book, and I read it, but not seeing it ever happen, I forgot. Now I reread the manual every year, so I might catch something odd if it happens.

Read the manual, make a dive, read the manual again. Make another dive but this time spend most of the time playing with the computer during the dive. Read bits of the manual again.

That will take care of most any normal diving. Even without getting into advanced features (mixed gasses, deco) do take a moment to study up on them.

Read and fully understood the manual of the computer FIRST as already mentioned.
All computers can handle simple deco obligation. So just follow the info given by the computer and there is nothing to worry about.

I think an inquisitive diver can learn a great deal by importing data into a good dive log program, especially if you are a graphically oriented person. It can help you visualize gas consumption, decompression and surface intervals, thermal effects, and future dive profiles much more effectively.

Couple of additions to the great points already mentioned
  1. Know what to change on your computer in case of an emergency— eg setting lower conservatism if running out of gas
  2. Keep a separate record of SAC rate for gas planning
  3. Learn how to monitor critical dive parameters during a dive eg ascent rate, SurfGF, GF99

The greatest understanding of my computer came as I really focused on it throughout an early dive. Just watching how it changes as I went down and then later came up, and how you can influence it can be very educational. I generally only glance at my computer during a dive, as a way to reinforce what I think I already know. All of the above is only after I've read the manual and played with it on land.

My advice: treat your computer as an advisor. A trusted advisor but still an advisor. You're in charge of the dive and need to understand what you're doing. Next is to understand what the computer is telling you and how you should respond to the info your computer gives you. Never ever solely rely on your computer to make decisions for you. Just my opinion.

This is also the reason I don't dive a computer that locks me out if I do something wrong in the computers opinion. It cuts off all info I need to make good decisions.

Back
Top Bottom