How to ascend with an unresponsive diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy43068:
I'm doing rescue tomorrow and Sunday.

Randy

So am I ... only I'm teaching it ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I start teaching a divemaster course next weekend, this is defiitly one thing i'll be watching for closely on the rescue assessment...

jonnythan:
Who would be doing a dive that requires 45 minutes of deco with no surface support whatsoever??

NWGratefulDiver explained it in fine detail. Surface support is there but so are strong currents and big waves at times. Have you read The Last Dive? Hank

NWGratefulDiver:
So am I ... only I'm teaching it ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm not closer to you. I'd like to have you as an instructor. But, there are some really good instructors here, too.

Ryan from ASK scuba is well qualified and I trust him wholeheartedly with my training.

Randy43068:
you're youth is showing...

:)
That may be, but I didn't say anyone else should do what I think I'd do :wink:

jonnythan:
That may be, but I didn't say anyone else should do what I think I'd do :wink:

Exactly ... learning good rescue techniques will help you manage the situation, but in the end it all boils down to personal judgment.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
This really does get to the point of teaching Rescue techniques ...
<snip>

We ALL have to make those choices once we decide to intervene in a rescue ... often with a short time period in which to consider all the options.

How you respond will depend on a number of factors ... your level of training, the degree of risk involved, and your conscience being among the major ones.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A very novice diver here and just now setting up my plans for rescue class this summer, but ...

isn't a element (benefit) of the training to 'catalog' sets of situations, practice them, and when the time comes you are pre-prepared to reach in to your tool box and just 'go thru the motions' (react to the situation)? Maybe this is what you mean by 'consider all the options'? I guess my question is; should part of the training/planning be to pre-condition emergency responses - "man on second, one out, ahead by one run, eighth inning, ball hit in the hole" - what's your play? Or is that too naive? Maybe I mis-interpretted, but I read more of ... something happens, now start thinking about it.

Jim

scububa:
A very novice diver here and just now setting up my plans for rescue class this summer, but ...

isn't a element (benefit) of the training to 'catalog' sets of situations, practice them, and when the time comes you are pre-prepared to reach in to your tool box and just 'go thru the motions' (react to the situation)? Maybe this is what you mean by 'consider all the options'? I guess my question is; should part of the training/planning be to pre-condition emergency responses - "man on second, one out, ahead by one run, eighth inning, ball hit in the hole" - what's your play? Or is that too naive? Maybe I mis-interpretted, but I read more of ... something happens, now start thinking about it.

Jim
I don't think any accident situation is ever going to be textbook. You need to use your training and draw on your situations and skills to determine what the best course of action is.

This applies to diving as well as anything else.. cave rescue, EMT, high angle rescue, whatever.

scububa:
...isn't a element (benefit) of the training to 'catalog' sets of situations, practice them, and when the time comes you are pre-prepared to reach in to your tool box and just 'go thru the motions' (react to the situation)? Maybe this is what you mean by 'consider all the options'? I guess my question is; should part of the training/planning be to pre-condition emergency responses? Or is that too naive? Maybe I mis-interpretted, but I read more of ... something happens, now start thinking about it.
Jim, the answer is sort of "both".

You do in fact "pre-make" many decisions of the "If A, then B" variety. To that extent your initial response actions are pre-thought through all the way and drilled.

OTOH, the environmental parameters and circumstances in which "If A..." occurs may be significantly different. SO, response becomes a thinking-person's game. It's sort of menu-driven: "If A under circumstances X, then B. If A under circumstances Y, then C."

You can have many response decisions pre-made and drilled in advance for any given failure, but still need to respond to the failure in whatever environment or circumstances you find yourself in. That's where the review of options and (hopefully) rapid decision-making comes in.

Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom