How to ascend with an unresponsive diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with the use the victims inflation only opinion. Trying to maintain a controlled ascent while dealing with holding the victim and managing two inflators is tricky to say the least. Add a dry suit (or 2) and you have a lot to keep up with.

Most rescue methodologies also state to keep the victim at current depth during convulsions, after the convulsions stop, perform a controlled ascent.

Get the victim to the surface as safely as possible, but do not risk yourself.

Don't be afraid to discuss your technique and any questions you might have with your instructor.

From watching the good , bad and the ugly in my own rescue class, I realized that if you want to control this event well, you'd better have your own act together first.

An overweighted diver will have too much air in his/her BC at depth to obtain neutral buoyancy. Then as he/she is attempting to bring the unresponsive diver up, that air expands and causes it's own issues. Trying to purge your own overinflated BC and control the unresponsive divers inflater as well could be problematic.

However, if you have a dry suit and you are weighted properly, you'll have very little air in your own BC to deal with, and you can easily vent your own dry suit air and the unresponsive diver's BC air at the same time, just by controlling the position of your left arm as you vent.

We had to do this from 40' in 39F water, and for me this was the most fun exercise of the class.

NWGratefulDiver:
2. If unresponsive, from behind the victim slide your right arm underneath their right arm and hold their reg in their mouth (assuming it's there to begin with).
Based on input from several people, I have changed the way I do this to giving the victim my long hose regulator.

The gas in his tank may be part of the problem.

Don Burke:
Based on input from several people, I have changed the way I do this to giving the victim my long hose regulator.

Humm... Not disagreeing, but if for some reason you have to let him go to ride up, you have to pop it back out.
Interesting.

Rick Inman:
Humm... Not disagreeing, but if for some reason you have to let him go to ride up, you have to pop it back out.
Interesting.
I see your point. That is another argument for more practice.

Don Burke:

The Rescue class teaches that for an unresponsive diver, you do not give them one of your regs.

I believe it teaches that if the unresponsive diver/victim does not have a reg in his/her mouth, do not try to put one in. If there is already a reg in the unresponsive diver's mouth, just make sure that it stays there by gently holding it in place during the controlled ascent.

Michael

Doc Intrepid:
(...) If you omitted decompression to get them to the surface, remember that you also may need medical attention. If you're only on the surface briefly you may be able to hand off the diver and descend to do your deco. Otherwise, stand by for a chamber ride.
I'll say in advance that I don't have any experience with this, this is just what I learned.

I learned it is always better to have one bad casualty than two a bit less severe. If you arrive at the surface bent or severely injured in another way, how are you going to help the victim (not to mention yourself)? The already injured also getting a lung overexpansion instead of two people being injured, possibly resulting in death for both of them because neither of them is able to (get) help, just seems.. less bad. (Not meant criticizing in any way, I just haven't really thought about this before and I'd like to know your reasoning)

On the other hand, thinking of it, the guilt feelings you could end up with if you choose to stay safe yourself are probably not a very pleasant 'alternative'.

I'm not sure if you'd do the rational thing in this kind of situation. I guess it would depend a lot on who it is that needs to be rescued (i.e. girlfriend or 'just' some guy who's name you don't even know).

I don't think I could leave my injured buddy for dead just because I don't want to take a chamber ride.

If I had to choose, I'm hitting the surface *with* my unresponsive buddy, and then they can take me to the chamber afterward.

jonnythan:
I don't think I could leave my injured buddy for dead just because I don't want to take a chamber ride.

If I had to choose, I'm hitting the surface *with* my unresponsive buddy, and then they can take me to the chamber afterward.

Escept that you can't accurately gauge what your condition will be upon hitting the surface. Will you need only a mild chamber visit? Or worse?

Back
Top Bottom