How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that I remember...

I went to the Canary islands and I decided to do some pretty elementary dives there.

Dive shop: "What is your highest certification level?"
Me: "Cave diver"
Dive shop: "??? But what is your certification level?"
Me: "NAUI ass instructor"
Dive shop: "??? But what is your certification level?"
Me: "PADI Rescue diver"
Dive shop: "Thanks"
Dive shop: "And how many dives?"
Me: "300"
Dive shop: "30?"
Me: praying

Damn, the staff had not even heard of tech certs nor of other agencies.
Thank God I was allowed to do a solo dive :D

@Subcooled

When a NAUI certified friend of mine visited his cousin in Brazil who was a PADI DM, his cousin said "Is NAUI one of those American dive agencies?"

That just blew my mind.

@Subcooled

When a NAUI certified friend of mine visited his cousin in Brazil who was a PADI DM, his cousin said "Is NAUI one of those American dive agencies?"

That just blew my mind.

NAUI
National Association of Underwater Instructors
National?
What nation?

> At least it is an association based on membership and voting!

NOT AN AGENCY

The PADI Dungeon Master presented a valid question!

ps. is PADI a democratic association or is it a corporation disguising as an association? Certainly it has a well defined legal status???

NAUI
National Association of Underwater Instructors
National?
What nation?

> At least it is an association based on membership and voting!

NOT AN AGENCY

The PADI Dungeon Master presented a valid question!

ps. is PADI a democratic association or is it a corporation disguising as an association? Certainly it has a well defined legal status???
I won't speak about what PADI is or is not here. When I create the Association of Recreational Scuba Educators, it will be a not for profit association where all members have vote. I will assume the title of World Dominator. Should be interesting how that works out. :dork2:

Based on my personal experience and observation during nearly 60 years of Scuba diving it seems the more cards a person has the poorer their diving abilities. All agencies are comprised of self-appointed 'experts'. Who certified the first certifiers? I have only basic certification, enough to get my cylinders filled and ride on a head boat during a tropical vacation. Doing a lot of preliminary reading was my only preparation back in the 60s, quite adequate until shops began requiring a C card to fill your tanks.

Based on my personal experience and observation during nearly 60 years of Scuba diving
Respect :eek:

it seems the more cards a person has the poorer their diving abilities.

Oh ****!

All agencies are comprised of self-appointed 'experts'. Who certified the first certifiers?

I have no role in dive certifications, though I did create the Finnish certification system for cavers and I started issuing caving certificates. Bootstrapped it all. Yeah, I may be ****, but I am better than the students :eek: Gotta start somewhere. So, who certified the first certifier? Nobody! Or myself! But a relevant question is: what do the certificates say? Is it all true?

Our certificates are nothing but signed letters telling ẃhat the course comprised and what people were taught.

I have only basic certification, enough to get my cylinders filled and ride on a head boat during a tropical vacation. Doing a lot of preliminary reading was my only preparation back in the 60s, quite adequate until shops began requiring a C card to fill your tanks.

I had to get a bunch of certifications to attend three relevant courses. You cannot become a certified cave diver before getting a rescue diver cert (although rescuing an unconscious person from a cave is more like a fairy tale). Maybe this has something to do with the average skill set of PADI certified divers as opposed to BSAC/CMAS/TheOldSystems?

I would be very interested in joining this ARSE, and maybe attending an ARSE penetration diver course, if available?
Well all training first involves wearing a blackout mask to simulate a common condition where the head can be wedged.

Well all training first involves wearing a blackout mask to simulate a common condition where the head can be wedged.

I am familiar with zero viz but have not experienced cheek squeeze yet. Is this is problem?

I am familiar with zero viz but have not experienced cheek squeeze yet. Is this is problem?
Have one's head stuck in a dark place is a very serious and common problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom